• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax under Lib Dems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax under Lib Dems

Anyone done any rough calculations on Ming's proposed taxes should they ever get to power ( )

The Lib Dems say they would take two million people out of paying tax altogether by scrapping the 10p bottom tax rate and raising the threshold for national insurance contributions.

There are sweeteners for middle earners too, through a 2% cut in the basic income tax rate, raising the threshold for the upper tax rate to £50,000 and cutting corporation tax by 1%.
    How do people do with the same model of low salary high divs?

I haven't heard Cameron discussing tax cuts or did I just miss them?

Why bother ? they will never get in ! pointless waist of Westminster seats !

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
      Anyone done any rough calculations on Ming's proposed taxes should they ever get to power ( )

How do people do with the same model of low salary high divs?

I haven't heard Cameron discussing tax cuts or did I just miss them?
      A few months ago they were pushing upping the higher rate of tax to 50%, now it's tax cuts here and adding severe "environmental" taxes to balance the books.

All a load of old hogwash. They have zero chance of ever being elected. You might as well work out your take home pay based on the Monster Raving Loony Party manifesto.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Lib Dems can adopt any crazy policies they like, and they do because they know they will never have to implement them.

Comment

It is estimated that somebody driving a normal family car (me!) would have to pay £800 a year to have the pleasure of driving my Mondeo tractor on our lovely uncongessted roads. Feck that then!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I heard a 1% (of house value) annual property tax on top of council tax. So the equivalent of paying stamp duty every year for most people. They are completely nuts, Cameron must be loving this.

All good stuff for that huge number of middle income earners who rent their house and have no car (i.e. presumably the guilt-ridden sandle-wearing Guardian-reading party faithful who are at the conference).

So if you earn under 50k a year and sell your house and car, go into rented, cancel your pension and any investments that might make any capital gains at any point in the future (for you or your children), you should be better off under the Lib Dems.

Comment

Its unfortunate that any party that pushes tax cuts will be themselves cut to ribbons by the other parties over their "irresponsible attitude and how will we pay for the excellent services we currently enjoy" brigades!

Best bet is to keep yer yap shut until you are in power, then do a Maggie Thatcher and run a hatchet through the public service and make all the slack arses redundant! Once thats done, get rid of IHT tax, council tac, IR35 tax, fringe benefit taxes, introduce flat rate taxes, f8ck all these green taxes off and actually invest in the roads and public transport and so on....

BUT...we all know that will never happen. After all, its only fair!

Mailman

Comment

This green tax malarky...

..is all ball-lux.
                This whole charade about raising car tax to £1500.00, increasing fuel duty in line with inflation, etc, etc on the grounds that they want us to give up our cars for the sake of the environment is complete non-sense. All the parties know full well that for most people the car would be the last thing they give up, so they play on that to get as much of our money as possible.
                Say a family holiday cost £1500.00. The Go-vermin-t gets a small slice of that in airport tax or some such, whereas if the family holiday had to be sacrificed to keep the car running they would get all £1500.00 in tax.
                If they were serious about saving the planet they would be putting the money they want to squander on ID Cards into alternative fuel research.
                Boom boom boom boom
                A-haw haw haw haw
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

We already have bio-deasel but thanks to the governments "grab the case" mentality, 1. no one can find any, 2. when you can find the stuff it costs more than normal deasel, 3. when you can find it and are willing to pay more for it you gotta travel 100miles to get back home, thus negating any CO2 savings you could have made!

Face it, the government aint in this to make our lives easier. If they were serious about transport they would sort out the roads now AND invest an equal amount in to public transport making public transport efficient, effective and available.

After all, its only fair.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                  X