• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract - no work but still on site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract - no work but still on site

All,

No doubt some of you have been in the same situation - you've accepted a new contract, gone on to the clients site but there is absolutely nothing to do.

I've still got my ear to the ground for other contracts but what would you do in this situation?

How many of you would "keep your head down and keep invoicing"?

Thanks

Comment

Ask the question again at the end of the week when your timesheet is approved or not
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If you are IR35 caught then stay on site.

Otherwise talk to the client manager, make sure everyone has your mobile number and take a few days off.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
          All,

No doubt some of you have been in the same situation - you've accepted a new contract, gone on to the clients site but there is absolutely nothing to do.

I've still got my ear to the ground for other contracts but what would you do in this situation?

Thanks
          Happened to me several times, one site took 6 weeks to get access to the applications.
          At the end of 3 months, they were asking me to work weekends.
          You never know how a project will go, no matter what they tell you at the start.

"keep your head down and keep invoicing" +1
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
            All,

Thanks
            Keep invoicing but make it clear you are waiting for them to sort themselves out and tell you what needs doing. Email to client line manager would be sufficient. Copy it to your personal email.

If it goes on longer than a couple of weeks offer to take some time off so they don't have to pay you. Chances are LM will say no as "it will all be sorted soon".

Otherwise use the time to do some plan B work, learn new skills, ask questions about client co. systems etc.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Pretty normal.

Never ceases to amaze me sometimes how these companies say how important it is, how urgent the requirement is, then when you get there no-one can be arsed. And they dont mind mind paying £100s per day.

One gig I turned up and they were surprised to see me. Contat was off for the week and no-one else gave a tulipe. Bit boring but got paid fr it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I've had this in several contracts I have had. Depending on what the place is like in regards to the people and atmosphere then I would make the most of it for the intial contract as long as it was not for too long then not take any extension if offered if nothing changed.

There is only so long I can sit there and not do anything it can drive me mad and if its the kind of place where you have to look busy which I hate I would be counting the days.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Pretty normal.

Never ceases to amaze me sometimes how these companies say how important it is, how urgent the requirement is, then when you get there no-one can be arsed. And they dont mind mind paying £100s per day.

One gig I turned up and they were surprised to see me. Contat was off for the week and no-one else gave a tulipe. Bit boring but got paid fr it.
                  Am sure it's not a case of no one being arsed. That's just your poor analysis of the situation. Just because you are not the responsibility of the person you are standing in front of it doesn't mean they don't give a tulip. They are just getting in with their work.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

keep your head down

Comment

Working...
                    X