• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid into an old umbrella account rather than ltd account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid into an old umbrella account rather than ltd account

My agency paid my weekly wage into the wrong account costing me a couple of hundred. The last three payments went in correctly to my ltd but the last went in to an old umbrella , who promptly deducted the tax, NI and fee.
    What do I do to get my money back ? I have already e-mailed to ask them to give me back the difference . Why should I lose money because of their mistake ?

The tidiest solution may be for them to pay you into the ltd straight away while they approach the umbrella for a refund. And obviously you should prepare to refund the net amount you've had to the umbrella.

These things are easily sorted, surely just pick up the phone?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ThisScepteredIsle View Post
      My agency paid my weekly wage into the wrong account costing me a couple of hundred. The last three payments went in correctly to my ltd but the last went in to an old umbrella , who promptly deducted the tax, NI and fee.
      What do I do to get my money back ? I have already e-mailed to ask them to give me back the difference . Why should I lose money because of their mistake ?
      Have you kept the money from the Umbrella? I believe sorting out a situation where you are paid the difference is going to get quite complicated.

In reality the whole transaction should be reversed as I assume you don't have a contract with the umbrella anymore.

1. You pay the umbrella back
      2. They pay the agent back
      3. They deduct the PAYE/Ni from their next return
      4. The agent pays all of the money to your Limited company.

Comment

My ltd company management are raising an invoice for the difference and sending this to the agent.
        Pick up the phone ? Never thought of that. Jesus.

Comment

What others already said plus:

My agency paid my weekly wage into the wrong account
          My ltd company management are raising an invoice for the difference and sending this to the agent
          These two makes me believe they made the payment to the correct bank account. Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            What others already said plus:

These two makes me believe they made the payment to the correct bank account. Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.
            Oh behave with this nonsense!

I took a wage from my limited in all the time I contracted.

And if he has a managed service company arrangement, he's right to refer to it as such.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Oh behave with this nonsense!

I took a wage from my limited in all the time I contracted.

And if he has a managed service company arrangement, he's right to refer to it as such.
              If he's operating via an MSC then he has bigger problems than this looming.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
                1. You pay the umbrella back
                2. They pay the agent back
                3. They deduct the PAYE/Ni from their next return
                4. The agent pays all of the money to your Limited company.
                This, except I would be insisting on the agent doing step 4 immediately as it was their cock-up.

Comment

My ltd company management are raising an invoice for the difference and sending this to the agent.
                  Pick up the phone ? Never thought of that. Jesus.
                  Then you are doing it entirely wrong. You've been erroneously paid by an umbrella company and they require their money back. Your contract says you get paid by the agency, not by someone else.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    This, except I would be insisting on the agent doing step 4 immediately as it was their cock-up.
                    Word of advise, keep using the Umbrella until you learn what it means to be a ltd contractor.

Wow advice from somebody who can't spell it.

The agency made a mistake. It was paid into my personal, not my business bank account. That's what you do as a ltd. My payment goes to a BUSINESS bank account.
                    My Accountants let me know what I can draw.

Comment

Working...
                    X