• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you're caught by IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're caught by IR35

As you're seen as an employee, would you be able to claim back from the company/agency you contracted with missed bonusses, holiday entitlement and other employee benefits?

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    As you're seen as an employee, would you be able to claim back from the company/agency you contracted with missed bonusses, holiday entitlement and other employee benefits?
    No.

The PDFs I loaded seem to have been removed now but they were on the IPSE thread.

It was stated something along the lines of: I was due PAYE & Class 1 NICS as I was deemed inside but I couldn't claim those type of benefits you mention from the client.

I'm sure this was the deal to get the client to fill in the forms the way HMRC wanted them to without it costing the client. If more clients were told they would need to pay those benefits backdated if we are found inside then the client would go out of their way to make sure there was no MoO or C&D.
    Last edited by Batcher; 5 March 2015, 14:00.

Comment

A common mistake; two entirely separate sets of legislation are at play. IR35 uses employment law parameters to determine if it applies to your engagement, but that does not mean you are in fact an employee and losing an IR35 case has no impact on your status or eligibility for employment rights.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        A common mistake; two entirely separate sets of legislation are at play. IR35 uses employment law parameters to determine if it applies to your engagement, but that does not mean you are in fact an employee and losing an IR35 case has no impact on your status or eligibility for employment rights.
        Very true.

But it does mean some protection could potentially apply. Trouble is each set of law uses its own definitions which are subtly different.

I'm thinking in terms of things like anti discrimination legislation, the disability act, health and safety legislation etc.

It is possible that certain people might fit their definition of worker and be afforded protection.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Very true.

But it does mean some protection could potentially apply. Trouble is each set of law uses its own definitions which are subtly different.

I'm thinking in terms of things like anti discrimination legislation, the disability act, health and safety legislation etc.

It is possible that certain people might fit their definition of worker and be afforded protection.
          But most definitely not perks that offered per role and agreed in contract like bonuses etc. which the OP is pertaining to. These are agreed contractually and are not overarching rights such as the ones mentioned. He may have the rights offered to employees but not the details of engagement.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IR35 is dead, when it was being enforced HMRC only recovered a pittance compared to what they expected. It's left in to scare uninformed contractors. The only people talking about it are newbies and those who make money from it (Insurance etc) or HMRC sockies (NLUK).

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              IR35 is dead, when it was being enforced HMRC only recovered a pittance compared to what they expected. It's left in to scare uninformed contractors. The only people talking about it are newbies and those who make money from it (Insurance etc) or HMRC sockies (NLUK).
              I suppose Batcher who has to fork out 52k or so has a different opinion.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2064120
              Last edited by Eirikur; 5 March 2015, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                I suppose Batcher who has to fork out 52k or so has a different opinion.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2064120
                So he paid 52k without a fight, no way.

Comment

You can be an employee for the purposes of tax law but not for employment law so no I don't think you'd have any rights to recover anything
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    So he paid 52k without a fight, no way.
                    Read the post again.
                    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
                    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Working...
                    X