• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worse than Rwanda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worse than Rwanda

Interesting item in the DT:

Babies born in the poorest parts of the UK today have worse prospects for a long and healthy life than those born in Rwanda, official figures show.
    Worse than Rwanda: life prospects in Britain’s poorest areas - Telegraph

Indeed, Rwandan life expectancy does seem to be on the up:

Rwandan life expectancy doubles in last 20 years, study finds.
    Rwandan life expectancy doubles in last 20 years, study finds | World news | The Guardian

Probably helped by the fact that Rwanda relies on foreign aid for over 40% of its budget. If they are now healthier than our own poor, maybe there's a good case for diverting some of that £12 bn foreign aid budget to help our own people.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

The stats are for England, the article claims these are UK wide and the article picture is of a house in Glasgow.

I am guessing a Rwandan could see the poor quality of this article.

Comment

Given that 20 years ago there was genocide in Rwanda, I'd hope that life expectancy has doubled.

Comment

Working...
      X