• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How bad is it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is it...

to talk away from a contract only a few weeks in?

I've only just started contracting but the role has turned out to be different to how I expected and the role is now based in a different location. I'm thinking of just walking without notice - how bad is that going to be? I feel that I'm letting the line manager down but I know I cant change the role to what it needs to be.

Originally posted by ct1071 View Post

I've only just started contracting but the role has turned out to be different to how I expected and the role is now based in a different location. I'm thinking of just walking without notice - how bad is that going to be? I feel that I'm letting the line manager down but I know I cant change the role to what it needs to be.
    I did it recently but only a few days in, agent was fine although I didn't get paid for those days. Just tell the truth and apologise a lot.

Comment

For a first time contractor it could be a huge issue. It's hard enough as it is getting the second gig leynalone bailing on the first. You could miss it off you CV but it's a lie that could get found out or you will have a gap you need to explain.

Walking without notice is ******* stupid as well. You are a contractor now so are bound by your contract. Bailing early, breach of contract? Proper gem you are.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

talking in a contract

But if your new to contracting id try secure a new gig before walking as it could get better. And you don't want to be blacklisted by that agency as unprofessional.

Comment

I'm thinking of just walking without notice - how bad is that going to be?
          Breach of contract isn't something one should enter into lightly.

If the agency suffers a loss as a result of your breach, then they can sue you for the loss and damages.

Good luck.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ignore the scaremongers and pseudo permies, it happens all the time, and clients will drop you when it suits them. Life is too short to work in a role you don't like. Agents gonna pimp and will have forgotten about it by lunchtime. This is part of the flexibility of contracting that both sides make use of.

Comment

I wouldn't advocate this sort of behavior from a professional.

Tell the truth, Give notice and leave professionally.

Contracting is a small world and bad reputations tend to stick in this game.
              Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

That's not a very good way to start your contracting career?

Would it really kill you to complete your notice?

How long is your notice anyway?

Chances are, as you have only been there a few weeks, they may be amenable to reducing it to a week (assuming it's more than that of course) - you likely won't have much to handover.

They might even let you go straight away, no point keeping you around if you are that unhappy.

Comment

If its your first contract, Id say it questions your suitability to be a contractor if you're going to walk in the first few days just because you think the role is different to what was expected. That can be part and parcel of contracting.

And unless the location is considerably different to that expected, Id say its not really an issue either.

Both the agent and client will be hacked off. Dont expect the client to have you back in the future. The agent may well contact you about new roles a lot sooner as they tend to have short memories.

Id seriously consider your suitability for contracts though.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I have to agree with the others, often the reality on the ground can differ from what the agent has told you. That may vary greatly but it's part and parcel of contracting, if you can't deal with that uncertainty then it'll be difficult for your business to make much money.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X