• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and Agile (XP)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 and Agile (XP)

Any contractors out there whose client uses XP?
    My (direct contract) client is making it clear in the contract they don't see me as an employee, yet the dev team uses Agile and XP techniques: daily standup, pair programming, code reviews etc.
    Feels as if the contract might fail IR35 on C&D - since they have a very definite process.

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers,
    Tim

I would be worried if that were the case as pretty much every Dev role is either doing scrum or in the process of implementing it. I would like to think it was the opposite of d&c as one of the key agile/scrum principles is that you are not tasked and choose what work you want to deliver.

Comment

Yes, I agree. I think its more the XP aspects, such as pair programming and code review that mean there's little choice over how to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by Jatra View Post
        Yes, I agree. I think its more the XP aspects, such as pair programming and code review that mean there's little choice over how to do something.
        Pair with either someone more inexperienced or another contractor.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
          I would be worried if that were the case as pretty much every Dev role is either doing scrum or in the process of implementing it. I would like to think it was the opposite of d&c as one of the key agile/scrum principles is that you are not tasked and choose what work you want to deliver.
          The only time I've ever been in a position where I was being assigned tasks was doing agile/scrum.

You could always just pay your tax and not worry about it.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            That's actually the way I feel. Does that mean I'm unsuited to contracting? ;-)

Comment

My experience is that many contractors are treated like temps but with a substitution clause and few amendments to the contract can make themselves look like real contractors.

They're a bit like brightly coloured frogs in the South American jungle some are poisonous and some aren't but it's hard to distinguish.

In my view if you don't stay anywhere too long and with some insurance I think regardless of how the project is managed, you're unlikely to get caught under IR35. With lots of short contracts I think the inspector would probably easily give up. I think it's a different matter if you've been more than a couple of years in one place.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 March 2015, 11:33.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                The only time I've ever been in a position where I was being assigned tasks was doing agile/scrum.

Yes, do as the permies do. Oh and don't forget your paid holiday, free pension, sickness, private medical, employee share scheme, and redundancy package too.

Your're a permie after all, tax man says we all are, so we must be.

And while your at it, stop paying into that ISA, since it shelters your earnings from tax, which can't be fair can it?

PS with regard to being cut out for contracting, no, way too spineless and pathetic. Have you thought of a career in politics?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Yes, do as the permies do. Oh and don't forget your paid holiday, free pension, sickness, private medical, employee share scheme, and redundancy package too.

And while your at it, stop paying into that ISA, since it shelters your earnings from tax, which can't be fair can it?

PS with regard to being cut out for contracting, no, way too spineless and pathetic. Have you thought of a career in politics?
                  Very droll. Especially the bit about politics followed by "Vote for UKIP"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

And your wife divorced you on what grounds?

Comment

Working...
                    X