• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment 13/14

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment 13/14

So...

Long story short - forgot to submit my self assessment for 13/14 so got hit with a fine. Fair enough, should have done it.

So finally remembered by details to log in and started to complete the SA.....

Started new perm job in 2013 (Sent them p45 from previous employer)
    Left said perm job in 2014 (Received p45 - passed onto umbrella company)
    Started with contracting - via umbrella in 2014 (Left Umbrella this year to go LTD - received p45)

So basically in the options I've stated that Ive had two employees over 2013/2014 and inputted the values on the p45s (Total pay to date & total tax to date)[is this correct to say I've had two employees]... on viewing the calculations this is giving me a massive tax bill eek

I am praying very much that I have done something incredibly wrong... Any suggestions/advice would most graciously be welcomed

I have contacted my new accountant so will see what they say - but wouldn't mind your advice/opions (with as little flaming as possible )

Correct to assume you have had 2 employments, assuming perm/Umbrella jobs started from or after 6 April 2013. Also there may be some dividends to include if you paid yourself this way from the Ltd. More likely that employments would have deducted too much tax, but it really depends on the tax codes used.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
      Correct to assume you have had 2 employments, assuming perm/Umbrella jobs started from or after 6 April 2013. Also there may be some dividends to include if you paid yourself this way from the Ltd. More likely that employments would have deducted too much tax, but it really depends on the tax codes used.
      So the perm ended in March 14 and started in March 13 and umbrella started March 14 and ended feb 15. Not paid myself via ltd as didn't want to complicate thins even more .

Just seems very strange the amount it's "calculating"

Comment

So yes, both employments included. Have you deducted the tax already paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
          So yes, both employments included. Have you deducted the tax already paid?
          So I've taken the figures from the P45s from the fields called "Total Pay in this employment" and "Total tax in this employment" and inputted these into the SA fields "Pay from XXXXX - total from your P45 or P60. Enter the amount before tax taken off:" and "Tax taken off XXXXX pay:"

"Pay from XXXXX - total from your P45 or P60. Enter the amount before tax taken off:" = "Total Pay in this employment"

"Tax taken off XXXXX pay:" = "Total tax in this employment"

I haven't don any other calc other than copy and paste... should I be?

Comment

Logic seems to make sense to me, without knowing all the details.

Comment

hmm understand; just taken me by surprise the total the calculations are reckoning I owe in tax - being always "employed" and having PAYE/NI etc automatically adjusted/taken for me, and its not a couple hundred, its in the 1k's

Comment

Just compare the tax with a tax calculator.

UK Tax Calculator 2015 - Updated for the 2014/2015 Tax Year

If it's significantly different go and see an accountant.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
                  hmm understand; just taken me by surprise the total the calculations are reckoning I owe in tax - being always "employed" and having PAYE/NI etc automatically adjusted/taken for me, and its not a couple hundred, its in the 1k's
                  Logically I'd agree, it seems unlikely that you would owe a lot if anything, unless either employer made a dogs dinner of your tax.

I'd agree with the others if you can't find the cause then get professional advice they may spot a simple error on the forms or at least identify if an employer did mess up.

Comment

Is your total income over £100k? If so, then you'll be losing some or all of your personal allowance, which is something that won't have been factored into your PAYE code.

Alternatively, the second employment may have beggared up your tax by not entering the right info from the first P45 or ignoring it.

Without knowing the numbers, impossible to say.

Comment

Working...
                    X