• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boiler room scams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler room scams

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/...2006/053.shtml

People who fall victim to boiler room scams by purchasing virtually worthless shares lose an average of £20,000, the Financial Services Authority has found.

The survey found that boiler rooms tend to prey on older people. Of those who had fallen victim to boiler rooms, 38% were aged over 60 while 26% of victims were 51-60 years. The majority of victims were male (81%) and most were experienced investors with 41% of victims saying they had been investing for over 11 years. Most victims were from London or the South East. The South West and Wales had the least victims.

Could you be a potential victim?

Most likely to be male
    Usually over 51 years old
    An experienced investor
    Spending on average £20,000
    Once you've fallen for one boiler room there is a greater chance you will fall victim a second time

Is it a boiler room?

The firm will not be authorised by the FSA
    Most likely to claim to be based in Spain, the US or Switzerland
    It will call you out of the blue or a marketing firm will call on their behalf
    Once you are on one boiler room's list you may be approached by other boiler rooms
    They could pursue you for at least one month even if you don't invest

Anyone else here been called repeatedly by a saleman in "New York" with fast paced sales pitch to make "serious money" through "incredible investment potential"?

Evidently the thickos in the SE are losing £20K a pop, whilst the those in the West are too clever and tight to fall victim.

"There's not enough money in Wales & the West for them to bother..."

...........even if they clubbed together
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Greed is good ?

Yet they flood the papers' financial pages with their sad stories. Same as the Nigerian scams. Preying on people's naivety and GREED.

Comment

I like it when they publish bank account numbers to get money on the last page of Private Eye.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          I like it when they publish bank account numbers to get money on the last page of Private Eye.

wow, I like the new look

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Had some bloke from the US kept calling me on and off for about two years. Never heard of these scams but I certaintly would be wary of investing in something not regulated in the UK. At least with Newton, Fidelity etc. you know what the rules are.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hmmmm....

So Dim Prawn, forgive me for asking, but how much did you lose?
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

£200K or nearly 3 months pay.

Comment

Wow your arse must be raw ...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    £200K or nearly 3 months pay.
                    What are you - a jigolo?

Comment

Working...
                    X