• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trip to Cape Town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to Cape Town

Hi, client B has asked me to help out at a trade show in Cape Town in May, they're paying - WOOHOO!

I know a couple of people here have been to South Africa recently so just wanted to get an idea of what's its like.
    Crime, weather, that sort of thing.

TIA
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    Hi, client B has asked me to help out at a trade show in Cape Town in May, they're paying - WOOHOO!

I know a couple of people here have been to South Africa recently so just wanted to get an idea of what's its like.

TIA
    Platypus returned with relationship problems. Tried to shag a permie manager and realised he was putting his sausage in an electric plug!

Haven't heard from Scruff yet.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Platypus returned with relationship problems. Tried to shag a permie manager and realised he was putting his sausage in an electric plug!

HTH

Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I know. Don't believe me?

Here you go

Comment

I would think South Africa has both of those.
          • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
          • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

I know. Don't believe me?

Here you go
            I hadn't read that before.

But we've all been there, right?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I hadn't read that before.

But we've all been there, right?
              Wrong.

Some of us have not only been there, but have also done it!

Platypus failed to shag her. FAIL !

Comment

Weather - Good, 25C minimum (it was chilly when I was there) but take a fleece so that when you skive off to go up Table Mountain and see the sunset, you don't get cold (it can get quite chilly in the evening).

Crime - no problem if you stick to the touristy areas. Personally I wouldn't take with me anything that I'd be upset to have stolen, e.g. jewellery. Folks from ClientCo were advised to take a "fake wallet" with them i.e. a old wallet with a few hundred rand in, some expired credit cards, some old loyalty cards, some recent receipts (to make it look realistic) so that you have something to hand over if mugged. ClientCo folks were also advised to always travel in pairs and I think that's reasonable advice. Even down by the V&A Waterfront, there's a few iffy looking fellas lurking in the late evening.

I spoke to a couple of locals about the recent muggings at machete point of tourists walking up the trails to Table Mountain and the consensus was "bulltulip" it's very uncommon, it happened a few times, the perps have been caught.

I can recommend a company who do an excellent Stellenbosch wine tour (you need to pre-book). Try and get the weekend before or the weekend after as extra days to do touristy stuff. Will you be with colleagues?

EDIT: weather looks cooler in May
                http://www.accuweather.com/en/za/cap...weather/306633

Comment

HTH

Scruff's last post was 6 months before you 'joined' the forum. Funny that

Comment

Make sure they are sending you Business class. It's a ******* bitch of a journey if it isn't.

Most of the crime is against people not being vigilant. There are signs up advising you not to use phones at traffic lights etc. There will be gangs of lads standing at busy junctions just looking for people that aren't watching what's going on around you. It's a little scarey at first knowing they are there for nothing but to car jack/rob you. Be alert and make sure you know whats going on around you and you'll be ok. Not sure it's the same in the built up areas but when you start getting out of the city it's noticeable. Look confident when you are walking and all those pieces of advice. I was told when I was there most people that were a victim of petty crime made themselves a target.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 March 2015, 18:25.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X