• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strange "bosses"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange "bosses"

So I work in a team of 9. The team lead / Agile scrum master planner kanban card carrying maniac is also a contractor.

Bossman has been coming up with some very unlikely sounding stories lately. Highlights, with some details slightly changed, include:

- How he was set to marry his Asian fiancee but her dad had ties to organised crime so he bailed
    - How he knows how to profile people and manipulate them into doing what he wants them do using this knowledge (which, he claims, is how he ended up with his wife)
    - How he's training in a Asian gang-developed fighting style in a place he found somewhere in Wales

I've spoken discreetly to others on the team and they're all of the opinion that he's hard work. He's antagonised others in the past so has a reputation for the wrong reasons. He's like an overenthusiastic child who's fallen down the stairs maybe one time too many...

Anyone else got any experiences like this? How do you deal with them? I'm figuring on nodding, smiling and keeping my head down. That should do it. Unless he five-finger death punches me or something.

Sounds like half the posters on this board. He's probably reading this right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattski View Post
      So I work in a team of 9. The team lead / Agile scrum master planner kanban card carrying maniac is also a contractor.

Bossman has been coming up with some very unlikely sounding stories lately. Highlights, with some details slightly changed, include:

- How he was set to marry his Asian fiancee but her dad had ties to organised crime so he bailed
      - How he knows how to profile people and manipulate them into doing what he wants them do using this knowledge (which, he claims, is how he ended up with his wife)
      - How he's training in a Asian gang-developed fighting style in a place he found somewhere in Wales

I've spoken discreetly to others on the team and they're all of the opinion that he's hard work. He's antagonised others in the past so has a reputation for the wrong reasons. He's like an overenthusiastic child who's fallen down the stairs maybe one time too many...

Anyone else got any experiences like this? How do you deal with them? I'm figuring on nodding, smiling and keeping my head down. That should do it. Unless he five-finger death punches me or something.
      get his CUK moniker I already have a suspicion
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Humour him then talk about him to other team members.

Comment

I'm figuring on nodding, smiling, keeping my head down and continue invoicing. That should do it. Unless he five-finger death punches me or something.
          Sounds like a plan to me.
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I have no idea if he's on here. Guess time will tell!

Originally posted by Unix View Post
            Humour him then talk about him to other team members.
            Pretty much. He is a nice guy, not an arsehole at all, but he reminds me of someone else I used to work with who once claimed he helped out his mate by taking her virginity. There are some seriously weird folk out there it seems..

Comment

I have no idea if he's on here.
              He is a nice guy...
              Too late, you've dug the hole!

Comment

The team lead / Agile scrum master planner kanban card carrying maniac

they're all of the opinion that he's hard work.

He's antagonised others in the past

He's like an overenthusiastic child who's fallen down the stairs maybe one time too many...

Anyone else got any experiences like this? How do you deal with them?
                Current ClientoCo is moving to agile. The have brought in a few of these evangelistic chunts, who have infected a some of the permies with their zeal. It's making life very difficult, slowing stuff down and causing endless confusion cos nothing is properly documented.

I'm figuring on nodding, smiling and keeping my head down.
                It's working for me so far

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                  Current ClientoCo is moving to agile. The have brought in a few of these evangelistic chunts, who have infected a some of the permies with their zeal. It's making life very difficult, slowing stuff down and causing endless confusion cos nothing is properly documented.
                  This is pretty much the situation here, except there's so much inertia here that I reckon it'll be "truly agile" in about 140 years or so.

I'm not sure how I feel about Agile. I can understand and even like the idea that hey, let's release often and break things, but OTOH docs are essential. My last perm role had a raging hardon for Agile, so much so that when a DB cluster died the recovery was slowed down because nobody thought to document the ulimits and kernel tuning involved... I guess, like a loaded gun, it's dangerous in the hands of people who don't know wtf they're doing?

Comment

Yeah I am not sure where Agile became just do it and have no documents....

Because that is not what it is.

As for your boss every time he starts talking sh1t just say 'Photo's or it didn't happen'

Comment

Working...
                    X