• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountancy costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountancy costs

What would you all expect to pay for the following services by an accountant: -

* Examination of company records for accounting period
    * Providing feedback on how to adapt the books
    * Preparing company accounts
    * Calculating corporation tax and preparing returns
    * Preparing and submitting P11D for tax year
    * General tax advice

It feels I was charged over the top by my accountant. IMHO he is good but there comes a limit to what I am willing to pay. Do most of you do the above yourself?

Acccountants

How much are you paying at the mo?

Comment

I would guess at about a grand a year.

Cue flames....

Comment

Just under £90 a month, which is about £1k per year. Includes PAYE runs as and when required.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Wrong question. Work out how much is your accountant saving you in correct filing of data and calculating correct payments so avoiding interest and penalties (probably £200-ish a year, but last time I tried it was rather more), plus however much time you would need to do it yourself accurately at double your normal rate, since you would be using up your downtime to do it (in my case something like 15 man days a year, or around £15k)

Work that out, then if he charges more than that, he's too expensive.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Mal' you really are a wise old bird (no offence intended!!). You are so right - I guess my "think as a business" hat fell off for a moment.

I have used him as a personal accountant for a number of years and he has always managed to get me a tax refund. He is professional and thorough. When I visited him recently to discuss my end of year accounts for Companies House he was very good. The amount he saved in CT by declaring a bonus more than covered his fee!!

I guess when you look at any amount in isolation it looks a lot but when you put it into perspective it isn't so bad!!

Thanks for helping me see the other perspective!!

Comment

Intrigued

How did your accountant save you CT by declaring a bonus .. are we talking paye bonus or through a dividend .. please clarify as if he can do this and you do not incur any personal tax as a result of this bonus, I would be interested in his services!!

Comment

Working...
              X