PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old told by Police its illegal to ride bike on pavement

BolshieBastard
10th March 2015, 12:49
A 4 year old girl and her parents stopped by traffic police that it was illegal for her to ride her small bike with stabilisers on the pavement. police said they'd confiscate bike if she got back on it.

Seriously, have the pigs got nothing better to do say, like catch a few scrotes or crims?

MarillionFan
10th March 2015, 12:52
A 4 year old girl and her parents stopped by traffic police that it was illegal for her to ride her small bike with stabilisers on the pavement. police said they'd confiscate bike if she got back on it.

Seriously, have the pigs got nothing better to do say, like catch a few scrotes or crims?

Link?

SueEllen
10th March 2015, 12:59
It's legal for anyone under the age of 18 to ride a bicycle on the pavement.

Not true.

Different areas have different by-laws.

Some places make it very clear regardless of age if you cycle on the pavement its illegal like on one of my brothers' road. However the child can't be prosecuted.

Likewise the arguments about parking on pavements. Depending on the by-laws in the area you may be allowed to.

BrilloPad
10th March 2015, 13:25
So child tries to do some cycling to make sure she does not add to the obese figures.

Most parks are closed early and swimming pools rarely offer after school swim sessions.

Is there an attempt to make everyone in the country fat?

expat
10th March 2015, 13:27
BBC News - Grantham girl, 4, gets cycling-on-path police warning (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-31805312)

For dear old Freako, this relates to a 4 year old girl riding a bicycle on a pavement.But is there an explicit power of confiscation? If not, would resisting an attempt to confiscate be legitimate self-defence?

No, silly me, 3 reliable police witnesses would have seen you initiate an unprovoked assault on a police officer.

SueEllen
10th March 2015, 13:29
So child tries to do some cycling to make sure she does not add to the obese figures.

Most parks are closed early and swimming pools rarely offer after school swim sessions.

Is there an attempt to make everyone in the country fat?

It's an over reaction by both sides.

To be honest small kids on bikes are less likely to ride into than those on scooters.

BolshieBastard
10th March 2015, 13:34
It's an over reaction by both sides.

To be honest small kids on bikes are less likely to ride into than those on scooters.

How is it an overreaction by both sides? She's 4 years old riding a little pink bike with stabilisers on it.

Personally, Id have told the child to get on the bike in front of the copper and made him confiscate the bike then gone to town on him and the force. What next, put CCTV up in your own home to help the Police catch burglars? Oh, wait........

BrilloPad
10th March 2015, 13:42
Grantham police to institute programme of Stop-and-Search for under-fives (http://newsthump.com/2015/03/10/grantham-police-to-institute-programme-of-stop-and-search-for-under-fives/)

VectraMan
10th March 2015, 13:42

Assuming it is illegal then she is a crim. At what age does it stop become acceptable to break the law? 5? 6? 10? 16? 18? 21? 35?

original PM
10th March 2015, 13:44
any law about those fookin crazy nutters in the mobility scooters?

ah no sorry cannot do anything to them as they have a disability.

but 4 year old girls on pink bikes are fair game.

someone mind telling me why the economy is in a state?

BrilloPad
Personally, Id have told the child to get on the bike in front of the copper and made him confiscate the bike then gone to town on him and the force.

+1. The police would not have confiscated - they are not allowed.

First rule of childcare. Never threaten anything you won't go ahead with. Seems this applies to police as well as parents.

GlenW
Assuming it is illegal then she is a crim. At what age does it stop become acceptable to break the law? 5? 6? 10? 16? 18? 21? 35?
The age of criminal responsibility is 10.

BrilloPad
10th March 2015, 13:45

Its not illegal as she is under 10.

d000hg
10th March 2015, 13:54
Seriously, have the pigs got nothing better to do say, like catch a few scrotes or crims?This is a pretty stupid argument. Unless there was a robbery in progress across the road which they ignored in order to castigate a child, a copper who notices someone doing something wrong should intervene. Although it seems a bit daft here.

So child tries to do some cycling to make sure she does not add to the obese figures

Is there an attempt to make everyone in the country fat?Legging it down the street with a PS4 you robbed is also good exercise.
I very much doubt a 4 year old was trying to "make sure she does not add to the obese figures". He/she was just riding their bike.

vetran
10th March 2015, 14:02
It may be illegal but she is under 10 so they can't prosecute.

FTFY

of course they don't have the balls to do something about lycra louts speeding down the footpath or the blackout bikers who think its sensible to be invisible at night on a bike. Lets put the frighteners on a 4 year old.

VectraMan
10th March 2015, 14:04
The age of criminal responsibility is 10.

Doesn't mean that anything goes; just means that the parents are responsible. If a 9 year old is about to set fire to a building, should the police step in and stop him?

d000hg
10th March 2015, 14:06
FTFY

of course they don't have the balls to do something about lycra louts speeding down the footpath or the blackout bikers who think its sensible to be invisible at night on a bike. Lets put the frighteners on a 4 year old.
You seem to imagine a 4yo surrounded by speeding maniacs, and plod picked on the kid. No doubt if someone had sped along the pavement while they were there, they would have collared them too. Unless it was night-time when the kid was on their bike, I can't see the other thing being relevant.

A copper sees someone doing something wrong, and tells them off. That's what they're supposed to do... by doing so they are not neglecting serious crime.

vetran
10th March 2015, 14:43
You seem to imagine a 4yo surrounded by speeding maniacs, and plod picked on the kid. No doubt if someone had sped along the pavement while they were there, they would have collared them too. Unless it was night-time when the kid was on their bike, I can't see the other thing being relevant.

A copper sees someone doing something wrong, and tells them off. That's what they're supposed to do... by doing so they are not neglecting serious crime.

you have far more faith in Plod than I do.

mudskipper
10th March 2015, 14:48

I think it's debatable whether a 4yo on a bike with stabilisers on the pavement with her mum is "cycling". It's a bit like saying a kid on a sit and ride is "driving". It's a toy bike while she gets the skills she needs to be able to ride a real bike.

d000hg
10th March 2015, 15:02
I think it's debatable whether a 4yo on a bike with stabilisers on the pavement with her mum is "cycling". It's a bit like saying a kid on a sit and ride is "driving". It's a toy bike while she gets the skills she needs to be able to ride a real bike.Well in this case, yes. Who knows, maybe it's a very busy path and they get lots of slightly older kids cycling which led to complaints... which makes it difficult to draw the line.

More likely just a silly plod though :)

shaunbhoy
10th March 2015, 15:45

Seriously, have the pigs got nothing better to do say, like catch a few taxdodging scumbags?

FTFY

d000hg
10th March 2015, 16:15
:wave:

BolshieBastard
10th March 2015, 16:54

Well for a start, you need to look up the minimum age that someone can be charged for a crime. Last time I checked, 4 year old didnt cut it. Also, she'd have to be charged to be determined as a crim so no, another massive fail for you.

But, it still raises the issues, have they nothing better to do than worry a 4 year old?

Platypus
10th March 2015, 17:09
No, silly me, 3 reliable police witnesses would have seen you initiate an unprovoked assault on a police officer.

Quite. They really are useless ***** and I hate them :mad:

original PM
10th March 2015, 17:32
Quite. They really are useless ***** and I hate them :mad:

I do not hate them but some of the seem to forget they are there to serve the public as opposed to rule the public.

darmstadt
10th March 2015, 17:38
But, it still raises the issues, have they nothing better to do than worry a 4 year old?

Isn't that a criminal offence?

vetran
10th March 2015, 17:45
Isn't that a criminal offence?

only if you an entertainer over 60.

d000hg
10th March 2015, 18:35
But, it still raises the issues, have they nothing better to do than worry a 4 year old?As I explained - twice - no, it doesn't.

Platypus
10th March 2015, 18:35
I do not hate them but some of the seem to forget they are there to serve the public as opposed to rule the public.

Only some of them, sheesh :(

ZARDOZ
11th March 2015, 00:02
While a kid a stabilisers should IMHO be allowed to ride on the pavement, older kids and adults should not. If nervous about riding a bike on the road then you shouldn't be riding a bike at all.

My opinion on this topic was cemented when an elderly neighbour of mine was killed outside her house when hit by some plonker riding his bike on the pavement.

MarillionFan
11th March 2015, 04:37
While a kid a stabilisers should IMHO be allowed to ride on the pavement, older kids and adults should not. If nervous about riding a bike on the road then you shouldn't be riding a bike at all.

My opinion on this topic was cemented when an elderly neighbour of mine was killed outside her house when hit by some plonker riding his bike on the pavement.

But is riding a mobility scooter on the pavement legal?

SueEllen
11th March 2015, 08:55
But is riding a mobility scooter on the pavement legal?

Yes.

They aren't licensed for being used on the road.

They actually fall into a grey area as people have been killed and injured by riders who have hit them on pavements, and the riders have also injured themselves as anyone can just get one.

Some backbencher actually wanted them to be licensed because of this.

BolshieBastard
11th March 2015, 10:11
Motability scooters enjoy a weird position in the law. They can be drive on the footpath and the road yet need no licence, insurance or VED.

Segways by comparision are illegal anywhere in the UK except private land.

Clearly though some Police officers have nothing better to do than worry a 4 year old riding a little bike with stabilisers.

d000hg
11th March 2015, 10:16
Yes.

They aren't licensed for being used on the road.

They actually fall into a grey area as people have been killed and injured by riders who have hit them on pavements, and the riders have also injured themselves as anyone can just get one.

Some backbencher actually wanted them to be licensed because of this.Plus of course, many of the people using them are not exactly possessing the sharpest reflexes/minds (like BB really). My grandfather had one at 92... despite being deaf and having badly impaired sight he's still take it out (without bothering to put his hearing aid in). And the nursing home let him!

BolshieBastard
11th March 2015, 10:22
Clearly though some Police officers have nothing better to do than worry a 4 year old riding a little bike with stabilisers.

SueEllen
11th March 2015, 10:55
Plus of course, many of the people using them are not exactly possessing the sharpest reflexes/minds (like BB really). My grandfather had one at 92... despite being deaf and having badly impaired sight he's still take it out (without bothering to put his hearing aid in). And the nursing home let him!

The police in random parts of the country provide mobility scooter courses. It gets some of the most dangerous of them off the pavements and roads.

I'm not sure how you find them.