• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worrying things you find in the road.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worrying things you find in the road.

I'm pretty much used to seeing odd bits of vehicle spring lying around.

Today there was a totally shiny & friction pad free brake pad out of some car or other.

Makes you wonder quite how it fell out & what braking is like without it.

The grinding noise must have been horrendous.

Coil spring failures | AA

For dear old Freako, it's a vile canard to accuse the manufacturers of producing substandard metal. It's all down to road salt & hydrogen embrittlement. So there.

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Saw a king sized mattress lying on the fast lane of M1 near the Sheffield Meadowhall shopping centre around a year ago
    I nearly hit a dual drainer stainless steel sink lying in the outside lane of the M4 at Junction 45 some (many) years ago.

It was quite exciting as I was booting it out of the on-slip & looking over my shoulder to check for stuff coming down the hill.

Oooops.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 08:03.

I once saw a whole brake disc on the road. I don't know how that happens.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I saw a piece of broccoli in the road this morning.

Comment

Saw a king sized mattress lying on the fast lane of M1 near the Sheffield Meadowhall shopping centre around a year ago

Comment

Spread across lanes 2 and 3 (of the 4 lane M6) were two ramps that had fallen off one of those flatbed car transporters which was parked on the hard shoulder with a sheepish looking driver wondering how he was going to get them back.

Would have made a nasty mess of people's wheels if they'd hit them at speed.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

How did I forget this.

It was summer 2013 and I was on my way up from Reading on a Thursday evening. On the hardshoulder I spotted a van carrying some women going on a hen-do or summat and behind the van I noticed a woman pulling her pants up after having a wee. Her bum was quite big, round and looked pretty!

Comment

Went past several tyre remains on the way home yesterday. Strewn between J46 and J41 on the M4 they were.

It's odd enough seeing one lying around. There were at least 5. Maybe it was the slowest car explosion ever.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Coil spring failures | AA

For dear old Freako, it's a vile canard to accuse the manufacturers of producing substandard metal. It's all down to road salt & hydrogen embrittlement. So there.
                Interesting graph in that article. Shows a regular peak for broken springs around January every year.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My other half got a service done at quickfit (not cheap either), and they managed to put two left-hand pads in the same caliper. She thought something was odd, but didn't notice until it's next MOT somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    My Dad lost a double bed on the M6. The police were going to prosecute, but it was a Renault Espace with a factory fitted roof rack and a gust of wind under a bridge ripped not the bed off the rack, but the whole rack off the car, so they decided he wasn't responsible.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X