• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I become a team leader

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I become a team leader

I currently contract as a senior developer. I would like to get into team leading. I have no experience in this yet but I would like to move away from the technical stuff and focus on more organisation and people.

Is it possible to do this as a contractor or do I have to be perm and aim to get promoted to this role?

Gareth Keenan is your man..

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Gareth Keenan is your man..
      I've no interest in being assistant to a regional manager.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        I would like to move away from the technical stuff and focus on more organisation and people.
        Buy some personality and chutzpah in a 2 for 1 deal?

Comment

or do I have to be perm and aim to get promoted to this role?
          ^^This
          As a contractor you know a certain trick for which people want to hire you. If you want to learn a new trick you have to return to permiedom and hope someone will promote you

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            ^^This
            As a contractor you know a certain trick for which people want to hire you. If you want to learn a new trick you have to return to permiedom and hope someone will promote you
            One of my friends (mid 40's) was hired as a contract developer, very soon he was asked to lead his team. My previous team leader was a contractor. So maybe it's possible.

Comment

One of my friends (mid 40's) was hired as a contract developer, very soon he was asked to lead his team. My previous team leader was a contractor. So maybe it's possible.
              It is possible. It just depends on the client.....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As well as a bit of hard graft, and a bit of luck.

Hold your hand up for anything that sticks out as "team lead" type stuff in your current team. Scrum lead, team mentor, administration of the plan, etc. You'll get practical experience as well as getting noticed in your team. That's the hard graft. If you get lucky, your current lead might move on for whatever reason and instead of looking for a new one they might ask you to double up in that role. More graft, but you'll then have the title to add. Next role, put yourself forward for team lead positions.

Comment

Erm.. I'd argue you won't necessarily get in to any of them being a team leader.

You'll need a new set if skills. Just being the best at your current role isn't the correct reason to move in to a TL role. You are better picking the guy that isn't so good at what he does currently to be the TL. Read up on the Peter Principle for an interesting perspective that is lost on most managers.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 11 March 2015, 21:38.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Erm.. I'd argue you won't necessarily get in to any of them being a team leader.
                    What do you mean?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You'll need a new set if skills.
                    As in taking a management course? I'm willing to train. I want to move away from technical work.

Comment

Working...
                    X