PDA

View Full Version : Should fat people be allowed a seat on trains?

BrilloPad
13th March 2015, 17:43
South West Trains station announcer tells obese passengers not to sit down on packed train - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11470353/South-West-Trains-station-announcer-tells-obese-passengers-not-to-sit-down-on-packed-train.html)

In fact, should they be allowed on crowded trains atall?

SueEllen
13th March 2015, 17:46
Ahh the train company know for it's tact.

linky (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10648615/South-West-Trains-worst-response-ever-to-a-pregnant-womans-plight.html) and linky (http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/11479316.Controversy_for_rail_bosses_after_they_sa id_disabled_Chessington_passengers_should_go_to_Ne w_Malden/?ref=ms) and linky (http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/local-news/anger-over-failure-help-disabled-6669228) and linky (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2814525/Leading-Tory-tells-life-commuters-overcrowded-line-Britain-passengers-space-livestock-legally-allowed.html)

BrilloPad
13th March 2015, 18:01
Like most people yesterday, I was outraged by the news that Victoria Poskitt, 40, five months pregnant, was forced to sit on the floor of a packed commuter train because she wasn't allowed in first class, and no-one would offer her a seat.

Outrageous! Why was she not in confinement?

:tumble:

meridian
13th March 2015, 18:20
I've always found that odd, "no-one would offer her a seat". I've seen pregnant women on the Tube loads of times, and have never seen anyone refuse to give up their seat when asked.

BrilloPad
13th March 2015, 18:31
I've always found that odd, "no-one would offer her a seat". I've seen pregnant women on the Tube loads of times, and have never seen anyone refuse to give up their seat when asked.

Where are you from?

People who use SWT are mostly from places like Guildford so scum.

tarbera
13th March 2015, 18:36
Or like me who offered a pregnant girl a seat pointing are her belly, for her to say she was not pregnant

Other commuters trying not to laugh

Whorty
13th March 2015, 19:17
Or like me who offered a pregnant girl a seat pointing are her belly, for her to say she was not pregnant

I've done this on more than one occasion ... fat lasses can get really angry sometimes :tongue

The train company is only thinking of the fatties ... if they have to stand they will burn off extra calories. So they can justify the big mac, fries and mars bar as a mid morning snack :rollin:

FatLazyContractor
13th March 2015, 19:23
A reason why I never take the train.

Why take a train when you own a RR worth 80 grand (with extra features) :smokin

HTH

PS - Contractor for life :cool:

MyUserName
13th March 2015, 20:29

This is why I don't say anything. I just get up.

SueEllen
13th March 2015, 20:46
I've done this on more than one occasion ... fat lasses can get really angry sometimes :tongue

The train company is only thinking of the fatties ... if they have to stand they will burn off extra calories. So they can justify the big mac, fries and mars bar as a mid morning snack :rollin:

Since some of the fatties will be physically disabled and been disabled before they got fat, it's just a train operator shooting of their fat mouth.

Plus if you know you are that fat/large/tall you aren't going to willingly squeeze yourself in those kind of seats.

Though I did annoy a larger lady once by asking her to move, then standing up all the way to my destination because she was squashing me by taking over my seat as well. She looked so offended as she obviously hadn't realised how big she was. :D

Whorty
13th March 2015, 21:36
Since some of the fatties will be physically disabled and been disabled before they got fat, it's just a train operator shooting of their fat mouth.

Plus if you know you are that fat/large/tall you aren't going to willingly squeeze yourself in those kind of seats.

Though I did annoy a larger lady once by asking her to move, then standing up all the way to my destination because she was squashing me by taking over my seat as well. She looked so offended as she obviously hadn't realised how big she was. :D

As my (thin and petite) disabled wife says, "fat is not a disability".

As for fatties not trying to squeeze into seats that they clearly can't get into .... you clearly don't travel on South East Trains via Catford :eek:

SueEllen
14th March 2015, 08:55
As my (thin and petite) disabled wife says, "fat is not a disability".

As for fatties not trying to squeeze into seats that they clearly can't get into .... you clearly don't travel on South East Trains via Catford :eek:

To be fair after that incident many years ago, if the train is going to be that crowded I look for a comfortable place to stand up.

d000hg
14th March 2015, 11:45
As my (thin and petite) disabled wife says, "fat is not a disability".And clearly the fact she's disabled makes her an expert on all disability matters?

BrilloPad
14th March 2015, 12:19
And clearly the fact she's disabled makes her an expert on all disability matters?

She is. Right. Do you disagree? If so, why?

Whorty
14th March 2015, 12:22
And clearly the fact she's disabled makes her an expert on all disability matters?

So you think being fat is a disability? Or, if you are disabled then being overweight is OK?

psychocandy
16th March 2015, 10:09
I hate it when people sit by me on the train anyway. Especially if they smell funny.

Irritates me when the train is empty but they insist on taking their booked seat next to me. Sit somewhere else.

Or the person who gets on the train and just dives into closest seat i.e. next to me even though train is empty. Reason not to sit too close to doors.

FatLazyContractor
16th March 2015, 10:12
I hate it when people sit by me on the train anyway. Especially if they smell funny.

Irritates me when the train is empty but they insist on taking their booked seat next to me. Sit somewhere else.

Or the person who gets on the train and just dives into closest seat i.e. next to me even though train is empty. Reason not to sit too close to doors.

You can do that too, you know?! :happy

FatLazyContractor
16th March 2015, 10:12

Does the gender make any difference? :wink

Gumbo Robot
16th March 2015, 10:36
South West Trains station announcer tells obese passengers not to sit down on packed train - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11470353/South-West-Trains-station-announcer-tells-obese-passengers-not-to-sit-down-on-packed-train.html)

In fact, should they be allowed on crowded trains atall?

Whenever I hear all this stuff about "fat people" I always feel the conversation could quickly turn to eugenics.

I don't like it.

d000hg
16th March 2015, 10:43
So you think being fat is a disability? Or, if you are disabled then being overweight is OK?I think once you get sufficiently fat, this becomes debilitating and is then a disablement either directly or due to secondary health issues which are caused by obesity and inactivity.

It can be argued you only have yourself to blame for getting to that point but that's a separate issue. If you develop cancer/emphysema due to smoking you are disabled too.

Plus of course, many disablements make keeping in shape very difficult since you can't burn calories. And mental illness frequently leads to issues with over (or under) eating.

And then of course, there's the issue about a "nanny state" telling people how to live their lives.

Eirikur
16th March 2015, 10:57

(Visibly) Pregnant women and the elderly shouldn't have to ask in the first place

ceebeepps
16th March 2015, 11:29
I would like to suggest that "fat" is a very generic term that unfairly discriminates against people. There are many reasons for people having weight problems that are not a result of "choice" and with many areas of discrimination, it does disappoint me reading such things and seeing evidence of small minds in the world.

GlenW
16th March 2015, 11:30
I would like to suggest that "fat" is a very generic term that unfairly discriminates against people. There are many reasons for people having weight problems that are not a result of "choice" and with many areas of discrimination, it does disappoint me reading such things and seeing evidence of small minds in the world.
Wrong, there are only two reasons; too much food and too little exercise.

ceebeepps
16th March 2015, 11:36

WOW!

d000hg
16th March 2015, 11:39
Wrong, there are only two reasons; too much food and too little exercise.In terms of physics, yes (although not even that is so clear-cut when you consider issues such as water retention). In terms of adding anything useful to the discussion, no. There are many reasons for people having weight problems because there are many reasons why people eat more than they need / more than they can metabolise. Your argument is like saying "there's only one reason why people die - because their heart stops beating" - true but unhelpful.

ceebeepps
16th March 2015, 11:42
In terms of physics, yes (although not even that is so clear-cut when you consider issues such as water retention). In terms of adding anything useful to the discussion, no. There are many reasons for people having weight problems because there are many reasons why people eat more than they need / more than they can metabolise. Your argument is like saying "there's only one reason why people die - because their heart stops beating" - true but unhelpful.

:yay:

GlenW
16th March 2015, 11:43
In terms of physics, yes (although not even that is so clear-cut when you consider issues such as water retention). In terms of adding anything useful to the discussion, no. There are many reasons for people having weight problems because there are many reasons why people eat more than they need / more than they can metabolise. Your argument is like saying "there's only one reason why people die - because their heart stops beating" - true but unhelpful.
Fat :winker:

d000hg
16th March 2015, 11:46
Fat :winker:I'm in pretty good shape actually.

GlenW
16th March 2015, 11:47
I'm in pretty good shape actually.
At least on your left hand side.

SueEllen
16th March 2015, 11:55

To be fair this is most of the people on CUK.

I also never knew the Daily Mail made up so many stories until I joined this board.

original PM
16th March 2015, 12:03

Sorry to disappoint the bleeding heart liberals but this is actually the reason most people who are over weight are over weight.

Yes you could argue now they cannot take exercise because they are too big - but that is because 10 years ago when they could take exercise and do something about their diet they did not.

d000hg
16th March 2015, 12:10
Sorry to disappoint the bleeding heart liberals but this is actually the reason most people who are over weight are over weight.It's the reason everyone is overweight (barring very rare conditions). It's the reason why they do this which is important. Ignorance about diet/food, upbringing/culture, body image issues, laziness, a medical condition, sudden changes in circumstances which aren't adapted to, mental illness, or just plain greed / love of food. Probably there are others.

I would say in the UK most obese people are to blame for their condition but certainly not everyone.

Saying they could've prevented it 10 years ago doesn't really help, does it, until the NHS builds a time machine? If you're disabled, you're disabled.

original PM
16th March 2015, 12:15
It's the reason everyone is overweight (barring very rare conditions). It's the reason why they do this which is important. Ignorance about diet/food, upbringing/culture, body image issues, laziness, a medical condition, sudden changes in circumstances which aren't adapted to, mental illness, or just plain greed / love of food. Probably there are others.

I would say in the UK most obese people are to blame for their condition but certainly not everyone.

Saying they could've prevented it 10 years ago doesn't really help, does it, until the NHS builds a time machine? If you're disabled, you're disabled.

No I agree but the point I was trying to make is that it is still very preventable in most cases if caught early.

It's also very visible - it is not hidden away like a cancer - just look - when you can no longer see your feet you need to loose weight....

BrilloPad
16th March 2015, 12:18
When people are so fat they get bed-bound, who keeps bringing them food? Shouldn't they starve until they are well enough to go to the shops?

FatLazyContractor
16th March 2015, 12:19
When people are so fat they get bed-bound, who keeps bringing them food? Shouldn't they starve until they are well enough to go to the shops?

There is only one way to know.

original PM
16th March 2015, 12:29

Yeah but there are some people who get of on keeping a fatty upstairs...

have a look for feeders or I think there is a pretty strange program called Fat Girls and Feeders...

you can get it on Really - it is on their I player to if you need to catch up.

SueEllen
16th March 2015, 12:30
Sorry to disappoint the bleeding heart liberals but this is actually the reason most people who are over weight are over weight.

Yes you could argue now they cannot take exercise because they are too big - but that is because 10 years ago when they could take exercise and do something about their diet they did not.

Most people who fall in to the obese category can easily change their lifestyle, however there is lots of ignorance around about:
1. What you should be eating - not helped by food industry advertising, medical profession and the charities that support them
2. How much activity you should be taking.

If you are that overweight even taking daily 20 minute walks and eating less would result in you losing weight.

However there are a minority of people - and I know and met a few of them - who have been told by the medical profession NOT to do any exercise. One woman I use to know was told by her GP not to do any exercise as she had congenital joint problems. She then spoke to a personal trainer who had sport science degree and knew something about her disease. He told her the opposite plus try certain exercises and if it hurts stop immediately.

original PM
16th March 2015, 12:33
interestingly enough I read that most diet plan type things you buy do not work mainly because the company running them is actually more interested in you being overweight so they make more money out of you than anything else.

SueEllen
16th March 2015, 12:34
Yeah but there are some people who get of on keeping a fatty upstairs...

have a look for feeders or I think there is a pretty strange program called Fat Girls and Feeders...

you can get it on Really - it is on their I player to if you need to catch up.

There are also mothers who are happy to over feed their children and have done it since they were young. linky (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/junk-food-kids-whos-to-blame)

You can see this in person by going to a Macdonalds, a waterpark etc at a non-meal time and look at the kids who are eating.

SueEllen
16th March 2015, 12:35
interestingly enough I read that most diet plan type things you buy do not work mainly because the company running them is actually more interested in you being overweight so they make more money out of you than anything else.

The diet plans do work. However you need to do them for the rest of your life.

Most people stop go back to their pre-diet eating habits then have to restart again at a heavier weight.

BrilloPad
16th March 2015, 12:40
Being overweight is primarily a mental health issue. If you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it then something is wrong.

HTH

d000hg
16th March 2015, 13:25
No I agree but the point I was trying to make is that it is still very preventable in most cases if caught early.

It's also very visible - it is not hidden away like a cancer - just look - when you can no longer see your feet you need to loose weight....Body image is a lot more complicated than that. The brain gets in the way.

When people are so fat they get bed-bound, who keeps bringing them food? Shouldn't they starve until they are well enough to go to the shops?That's going to end badly when they have obesity-linked diseases such as diabetes. Plus, how are they going to pay rent in the meantime if they cannot work?

SueEllen
16th March 2015, 13:51
Body image is a lot more complicated than that. The brain gets in the way.

That's going to end badly when they have obesity-linked diseases such as diabetes. Plus, how are they going to pay rent in the meantime if they cannot work?

They live on benefits as their obesity has caused them other illnesses so they are too disabled/sick to work.

Channel 4 has "nice" programs on all this like this one - linky (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/embarrassing-fat-bodies)

d000hg
16th March 2015, 14:10
So then, they are disabled. Question answered :)

Whorty
16th March 2015, 19:14
In terms of physics, yes (although not even that is so clear-cut when you consider issues such as water retention). In terms of adding anything useful to the discussion, no. There are many reasons for people having weight problems because there are many reasons why people eat more than they need / more than they can metabolise.

True - stress, being bullied etc etc

But what gets me is that if someone gets fat (and I mean really fat), too fat to work 'fat' then we call it a disability. But the same triggers cause people to drink too much, or take drugs, but this isn't classed as a disability.

I still say being fat is not a disability, just like being a drunk or a junkie is also not a disability. These are lifestyle choices - many many disabled people (maybe all?!?) would all choose not to be in the state that they are but have no choice.

SueEllen
16th March 2015, 19:40
True - stress, being bullied etc etc

But what gets me is that if someone gets fat (and I mean really fat), too fat to work 'fat' then we call it a disability. But the same triggers cause people to drink too much, or take drugs, but this isn't classed as a disability.

I still say being fat is not a disability, just like being a drunk or a junkie is also not a disability. These are lifestyle choices - many many disabled people (maybe all?!?) would all choose not to be in the state that they are but have no choice.

Actually if you drink too much or are a junkie and it causes you to have illnesses that are regarded as a disability then you are disabled.

Someone on the road where I use to live was an alcoholic and due to his illnesses caused by his addiction was on disability benefits.