• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accommodation for Basel?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accommodation for Basel?

Apologies as I think this has been raised a few times, but not sure if specifically for Basel.
    I seem to remember the idea being, to live in France and cross the border every morning, to avoid the insane living costs in .ch?
    Any other approaches? Is it a common practice to reimburse and charge the client accommodation cost?
    I normally simply charge a higher rate and take the hit, but as I don't have a good view of what the costs may end up being in Basel?

Try here for accommodation in Basel:
    homegate.ch | Immobilien Markt Schweiz

Try the geographic search here for options in France & Germany
    UMS AG Untermietservice Schweiz − Möblierte Wohnungen in Zürich, Basel, Bern, St.Gallen, Luzern, Zug, Genf, Lausanne

Swiss contracts are normally all-in, so bump your rate up

I've worked in Basel, PM me if you want more details

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post

I've worked in Basel, PM me if you want more details
      I'll see your "I've worked in" and raise you an "I've lived here 13 years".

Living in France or Germany certainly reduces your costs. Expenses are not paid out to externals, usually. This hotel looks fairly reasonable. I don't know anyone who's stayed there, but I have eaten at the restaurant several times and it's pretty good. It's also walking distance to the Riehen tram stop just across the border.

You should also skim www.englishforum.ch
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Life is too short for living/renting/buying in Switzerland.

HTH

Comment

Working...
        X