• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BiFocals/VariFocals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BiFocals/VariFocals

I wear glasses for Short-sightedness (myopia) but when I have them on the screen is out of focus so I have to take them off, but then everything in the distance is blurry. Was thinking about getting Bi or Vari focals, anyone go them? Opinions?

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    I wear glasses for Short-sightedness
    Thanks for making your reasons clear.

Comment

What does your optician say?
      • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
      • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Go see an optician.

Saying that I've got Varifocals and although they took some getting used to they do make a difference.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
          What does your optician say?
          He/She will try and sell me the most expensive thing so gathering some opinions first.

Comment

I've got varifocals and took to them right away. I had heard they took a while to get used to but I've been fine.

Get your eyes tested at one of the big opticians like Boots or Specsavers then get the prescription and take it to a small firm to get them made up. I do it all the time and got prescription sunglasses made last time too. Cost of both together was less than for one pair at the big opticians.

Comment

He/She will try and sell me the most expensive thing so gathering some opinions first.
              Nope, the Optician will give you a prescription for the lenses you need. What you spend on the frames is down to the sales person out in the shop. Any reputable Optician will give you a written prescription that you can take anywhere else and get the glasses you want.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Varifocals (aka "transitions") are the way to go. I've been using them for 15 years now, and took about 30 minutes to get used to them. Just be careful that the transition between close-up and distance isn't too steep, otherwise it'll be tricky to find the sweet spot for using a screen.

Comment

You can get Interview glasses - Varifocals with a range from reading to around where your screen would be out to around where someone is sat across the desk from you. Used them for years until my distance vision faded away so now I'm on conventional Varifocals.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes, and you should buy the most expensive ones you can afford as they work better and take much less getting used to. Cheapo varifocals are a false economy. Why skimp with your eyes when it's how you make your living.

Comment

Working...
                    X