• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent asks for current rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent asks for current rate

Sometimes an agent will ask what rate you are currently on. I don't blame them for wanting to know, but I tend not to tell them if possible. Apart from it being confidential and non of client B's business what you charged client A, I think it can be misleading. Eg. I charge more for architecture and design than day-to-day administration. Also expenses can differ depending on location.

Anyway what's your attitude?

Market rate.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Always lie tell them its more than it is but your willing to negotiate they do this all the time to see who is cheapest! Just say its way more but you will do it for less to get the role usually does the trick they love contractors who will work for slightly less it increases their margin.

Comment

Tell them the rate you want.

To be honest most of those who do that know the rate they are offering is too low.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          Always lie tell them its more than it is but your willing to negotiate they do this all the time to see who is cheapest! Just say its way more but you will do it for less to get the role usually does the trick they love contractors who will work for slightly less it increases their margin.
          I like your thinking - they want the cheapest person, so whack your rate up way more than it is and tell them that you'll be cheaper because they can talk you down.

Genius.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Tell them the rate you want.

To be honest most of those who do that know the rate they are offering is too low.
            True on both counts.

I will negotiate a bit on rate if the location is nice or the project looks really interesting, but I won't tell them that up front.

Comment

If current is a bit low, lie and tell them market rate.

Got bitten when I was a newbie. Rate was v low and I owned up to pimp. They're answer oh client wont pay for that much of an increase then. Despite last 2-3 contracts being at this rate.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                If current is a bit low, lie and tell them market rate.

Got bitten when I was a newbie. Rate was v low and I owned up to pimp. They're answer oh client wont pay for that much of an increase then. Despite last 2-3 contracts being at this rate.
                Why do even have to lie? It's a negotiation. Just tell them what you want.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Because despite what your parents might tell you, honestly is never the right policy

Nothing sets the expectations of the relationship so clearly as starting off with a needless lie.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What's the difference between telling what you want and telling a lie?

Personally i just tell them the amount i'm looking for from my next role

Comment

Working...
                    X