• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Vehicle Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Vehicle Question

Afternoon folks.

I'm taking the risk of posting this in General as it will attract more attention - I am quite prepared to filter out the usual detritus from the doubtless numerous replies. And yes, I have searched - clearly my Google Fu isn't up to scratch.

With the advancement of EVs and PHEVs, owning one through MyCo doesn't look as horrific, from a BIK perspective (and the 100% write down in the first year), as Company Car possession traditionally did. My query is this, and is quite specific - can I legitimately have the present Mrs P (we're not married, BTW) as a named driver on the insurance, if said insurance is paid for by MyCo, bearing in mind that she has no affiliation with MyCo? She is not, for example, a shareholder.

Incidentally, she'd probably never drive said theoretical vehicle* - but I prefer both of us to be able to drive both cars, for obvious reasons.

TIA.

* Said theoretical vehicle is a Tesla Model S, on the off chance that anyone's interested...

A BIK is being introduced from this April for EV's of 5% and 7% from April 2016.

Insurance for partner? Not sure about that but there's surely some cost because it wont be business use.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Would you put a complete stranger on the insurance and count that as an expense that is wholly and exclusively for the business?

If so, then put your partner on the insurance and claim it.

But why stop there?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        A BIK is being introduced from this April for EV's of 5% and 7% from April 2016.

Insurance for partner? Not sure about that but there's surely some cost because it wont be business use.
        Absolutely so - I'm aware of the BIK - but this, in my opinion, is outweighed by the other savings. I agree with your other point, hence my original enquiry. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Would you put a complete stranger on the insurance and count that as an expense that is wholly and exclusively for the business?

If so, then put your partner on the insurance and claim it.

But why stop there?
          TF - in my previous incarnation, we used to get along. Maybe I should have worded it better: "I want to put a complete stranger on the insurance for a vehicle owned by MyCo - if they ever drive it, which would be unlikely, it would clearly not be for business reasons. What are the implications and associated pitfalls of doing so?"

Comment

It's not so simple though I don't think.

Companies that provide employees with Co Cars have insurance in their name and not the individuals, don't they? Any employee that the company decides can drive a company car. So essentially the driver isn't named.

Your struggle will be to find a Ins company that will allow you to buy insurance for an asset that you don't personally own, won't it? Or one that will provide company car insurance for a fleet of one.

Or am I finding a problem where there isn't one?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              It's not so simple though I don't think.

Companies that provide employees with Co Cars have insurance in their name and not the individuals, don't they? Any employee that the company decides can drive a company car. So essentially the driver isn't named.

Your struggle will be to find a Ins company that will allow you to buy insurance for an asset that you don't personally own, won't it? Or one that will provide company car insurance for a fleet of one.

Or am I finding a problem where there isn't one?
              Quite - my original question was based on the theory that I would be able to find an insurance company prepared to insure a fleet of 1 vehicle(s).

Apologies for the continued SFQs.
              Last edited by Pamplemoose; 18 March 2015, 13:33. Reason: I'm a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamplemoose View Post
                can I insure a Company car personally? i.e. Can I insure an asset that I don't own or have legal title for?
                Yes. You are the registered keeper, so you can insure it yourself - same as you would if it was a personal lease.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Yes. You are the registered keeper, so you can insure it yourself - same as you would if it was a personal lease.
                  Oh. I thought that MyCo would be the registered keeper... Shows what I know - thank you for your assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamplemoose View Post
                    the present Mrs P (we're not married, BTW)
                    Is it your mum?

Comment

Working...
                    X