• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of the SatNav?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of the SatNav?

BBC News - The road to obscurity

(Standalone) Satnavs are set to join Pagers, Faxes and Laserdiscs on the recycling centre 'Electrical Items' skip apparently, but I happen to quite like the idea of using a dedicated (in my case old TomTom) satnav rather than a Smartphone..

I drive an older car (through choice, I suspect a lot of CUK'ers do too ) and for me, having a box that instantly does only what you want it to works very well, I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket (and unlock it, start the SatNav app, plug it in, put it in the holder) every time I start a journey. I can also take calls, send texts, look stuff up completely independently of what the SatNav is doing.

I'm all for progress, but was surprised when I did look at new SatNavs a bit ago (to see if they'd advanced how I though they might have) to see there were none based on Android with Wifi etc. It's either (Dedicated old box | Smartphone App)

I did look into building a dedicated Android tablet/phone purely for a Satnav a bit ago, but found the phones wanted a SIM to work, and tablets were too big.

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Most modern android phones are happy enough without a SIM. Connect to Wi-Fi, sign in to Google account, download your Sat Nav of choice (I've found TomTom to be excellent, especially for traffic management) and jobs a good 'un.

I just use my phone, though it is a pain when someone calls you just as you're trying to find your way around a one way system or something.

Comment

I used to be the same with an old device I used for Tomtom (strictly a Windows Pocket PC, but only used for TomTom). But then I got the TomTom app for iPhone (plus a windscreen holder) which ran a lot faster, and has the added benefit of keeping the phone charged.

Now I run Google Maps on an iPhone 6 Plus - so you get a nice big screen, but also free traffic data and suggestions as you go. (Well, in exchange for telling google where you're going)
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Ah I didn't realise newer Android phones can run without a SIM, mine powers up, if no SIM, basically says "Computer Says No".

So it might be time to reclaim^H^H^H^H^H^H^H ask for that HTC £80 Android 4 Smartphone I got my folks that they never use, and get it to Auto-Launch Google Maps or Tomtom, and auto connect to WIFI then?

Interested to hear what others do, the thing I like about my old TT is it just "works", though I concede there's no live traffic updates on mine.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Don't you need a sim to connect to the internet though? Google maps can't be downloaded so you need them to be constantly updating as you move.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            Don't you need a sim to connect to the internet though? Google maps can't be downloaded so you need them to be constantly updating as you move.
            You can download maps for a route. On Android anyway.

Comment

Or if you're on a Vodafone business tariff you can get a second SIM card that shares the data allowance on your phone account for no extra charge.

Comment

Google maps has an "offline mode" on iOS ( and the PC and presumably Android ). It can be hard to find though.

And Waze is a great replacement for your paid-for SatNav software .... courtesy of Google. It's designed more for commuting the same journey everyday than TomTom software.

Comment

Funnily enough I was trying out the (free) MapFactor Navigator app for Android today. Works very well. I've never had proper sat nav though; always considered it was for idiots, though I have used Google Maps a few times to find where I'm going. As said you need to have a signal, or plan in advance and cache the area you're going. But with the Navigator app it's a download (about 260MB for the UK).

I've got an older, smaller Android phone knocking around so if I was bothered I could use that as a dedicated Sat Nav (and yes it does work without a SIM on WiFi).
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've got a built in sat nav in the dash but I also have an additional forward facing camera with GPS that has speed camera locations loaded. I view all three as pretty essential.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X