• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copyrighting your code!?!!??!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copyrighting your code!?!!??!

Hello,

Quick question. If you develop a set of classes in your own time, and then go to your client site and then write and application that then uses those classes.

Do you afix any kind of comments/legal notice for how how those classes can be used? Obviously for whatever project you use them for - you are agreeing for them to be used in the application.

But are you concious that another contractor/programmer might come along and use that their own projects etc..

Or is life too short to bother about these things!??!?!

You will need to be sure the client is aware of that in advance, and better do it in writing - ie they would confirm in writing their agreement to let you use your code under whatever license. Most likely they would not agree to any license at all as they would expect whole code to be theirs 100%.

Best solution is not to mix your own stuff with the clients work because in may look as if you knicked their own code rather than added yours.

Comment

If it's a really major and groovy chunk of an app, don't forget you might want to get it in writing that it is your code less somebody comes along later and accuses YOU of nicking it. I believe if if you are paid to develop for a client the copyright is normally assumed to be their's

Grrr beaten by 2 mins
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

My B2B contract retains IPR and copyright of any code I write for clients with my limited company. They get a perpetual royalty free license to use the code providing they do not sell it. I can use/sell as many copies as I like of the code - not that most of it's going to be of any use outside the client. Not all clients will go for this, but I have got away with it before. All you need to do is make sure you keep a copy of it and put your name and company in the code comments.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by BradNeedsYourHelp
          Hello,

Quick question. If you develop a set of classes in your own time, and then go to your client site and then write and application that then uses those classes.

Do you afix any kind of comments/legal notice for how how those classes can be used? Obviously for whatever project you use them for - you are agreeing for them to be used in the application.

But are you concious that another contractor/programmer might come along and use that their own projects etc..

Or is life too short to bother about these things!??!?!
          Yes I do license the code, but not to stop the client doing what they want with the code. More to allow me to use the code in other projects for other clients.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Almost all contracts say that code 100% belongs to the client, some or even many say that any other work you do in any other time (including your own) is theirs too: now that's null and void, but if client missed out 100% code ownership that was developed for them, then they completely screwed up and should fire lawyer that was writing it.

Comment

why don't you sourceforge / open source it? Then you can just "download" the jar/whatever and include it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope
                why don't you sourceforge / open source it? Then you can just "download" the jar/whatever and include it.
                That's exactly what I do. I don't care that the client (and everyone else) can use it how they see fit. I care that I don't have to write the same code over and over again for different clients.
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Is the client aware (as it agreed to that in writing) of what you do? Have you checked if your activity is not against contract? Just because you put the code up with GPL or whatever license and then put into client's code does not mean it is all fine - if your contract states that all work you do belongs to the client (as in copyright, not license), then you materially breached the contract and any court would award client all the money they paid you since you did not do your job.

By default all your work belongs to the client (even if contract did not mention it), only if you have it in writing that client agreed to accepting licensed code it may work out okay.

This is very serious no-joke stuff.

Comment

Most companies have NDAs and IP clauses which make it difficult to mix two companys' IP. It's not worth it for the legal problems generally.

Anyway, I like writing the same code over and over. It generates more cash for my business.
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X