• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to the corporate culture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the corporate culture

As I posted a while ago I took a permie position last year. Reasonably happy with the job but jeez trying to get something done. I need to change one option in a config file - raise a ticket, it goes to a committee, they fanny around with it and then approve it (or not), two weeks later I'm still waiting.

I write some software to automate some tasks, it goes to a review board for approval - three weeks later still heard nothing.

The smallest proposal requires multiple meetings so progress is almost but not quite stalled.

Not really a complaint just adjusting

I'm going back to contracting soonest opportunity
    Me, me, me...

Well they have to please their legal/compliance departments, so endless bureaucracy it is.

Comment

Stuck in the same loop, here - but at least I'm billing. It's exceptionally frustrating though - it's been a while since I've worked somewhere quite this bad, but it's a public sector contract with $BigSysIntegrator so not exactly a surprise.

Comment

It does seem endemic.
        I joined a project nearly a year ago; the original BA had created a list of half a dozen use-cases (list1).
        'the management team' decided to review/assess/update them. Nine months of lengthy reviews, daily meetings later they
        produce list 2.

yep list1 == list2

invoice, drink, invoice....

Comment

The perfect contract.

Do very little, stay a very long time, invoice an eye watering sum.

Retire early and kick back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            As I posted a while ago I took a permie position last year. Reasonably happy with the job but jeez trying to get something done. I need to change one option in a config file - raise a ticket, it goes to a committee, they fanny around with it and then approve it (or not), two weeks later I'm still waiting.

I write some software to automate some tasks, it goes to a review board for approval - three weeks later still heard nothing.

The smallest proposal requires multiple meetings so progress is almost but not quite stalled.

Not really a complaint just adjusting

I'm going back to contracting soonest opportunity
            Are you working in a swiss bank by any chance?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Are you working in a swiss bank by any chance?
              Nowhere near that sector, manufacturing (high tech).
              Me, me, me...

Comment

It used to be annoying, then they moved all of these 'ticket fulfillers' offshore and that was that for me.

Hunting down someone with a 50 character name in Bangalore for 2 weeks to get a login for a dev database.

Comment

The team I work for at a bank is currently on the verge of losing their production access which they have used for deployments for the last few years.

They were pretty agile in terms of getting new stuff released, but only because for whatever reason they had the access to do so. It's about to become more difficult - rightly so of course, but if it was a happy medium fine, but it probably mean a total pain in the backside.

Comment

Last bank gig I was at I was in charge of updations for 3 applications.

Each updation would take 2 days. Really all it took was overwriting a file and running an update on the DB.

Most of the work would involve writing the standard nonsensical update document which described each code change, hunting down people that should be involved in the updation, getting them committed to it ( usually by escalation to some manager ) then getting them there on time & online to do their minor part in the whole thing.

It was like building the tower of Babel 3 times every 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                    X