• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Reason I'm Pissed Tonight - FAO CUK Cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Reason I'm Pissed Tonight - FAO CUK Cyclists

Took my road bike (pushbike) in for a service today.

1 pm got a call from the shop telling me, basically, it's farked. Wheels are knackered, headset is knackered, needs new chain & cassette, bottom bracket's knackered, all the cables are screwed.

£500 to fix it if I want a half decent set of wheels.

Why? Because this winter I've been on a bit of a health kick & I've been out in all weathers. I get home cold, wet and knackered & the bike goes in the shed where it stays wet & rust sets in to all the moving parts - bearings, cables etc.

So, WTF am I supposed to do? Don't go out in the rain the bloke in the shop said. That can't be right, I'm always seeing people out in all weathers. (I might also add the the roads around where I live are very rough so no doubt that's contributed too).

I paid £1500 2 years ago & don't really expect this - though I've done about 4000 miles in that time (with regular services). Perhaps I'm naive & these sorts of bikes are high maintenance & all this aggro is par for the course.

Oh well, it's a company asset so I'll be expensing it...
    Last edited by Gumbo Robot; 20 March 2015, 22:56.

Well oiled.

that's the secret
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
      Took my road bike (pushbike) in for a service today.

1 pm got a call from the shop telling me, basically, it's farked. Wheels are knackered, headset is knackered, needs new chain & cassette, bottom bracket's knackered, all the cables are screwed.

£500 to fix it if I want a half decent set of wheels.

Why? Because this winter I've been on a bit of a health kick & I've been out in all weathers. I get home cold, wet and knackered & the bike goes in the shed where it stays wet & rust sets in to all the moving parts - bearings, cables etc.

So, WTF am I supposed to do? Don't go out in the rain the bloke in the shop said. That can't be right, I'm always seeing people out in all weathers. (I might also add the the roads around where I live are very rough so no doubt that's contributed too).

I paid £1500 2 years ago & don't really expect this - though I've done about 4000 miles in that time (with regular services). Perhaps I'm naive & these sorts of bikes are high maintenance & all this aggro is par for the course.

Oh well, it's a company asset so I'll be expensing it...
      Jump Brillo, Jump!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I never feel like cleaning my bike after a long ride but you have to get the worst of the tulip off. Salt , grit and grime destroys your bike. Hose it down after a ride , spin the cranks to get water off the chain and lube the chain and sprockets, this all takes two minutes . then clean the bike properly on another day. And get a chain cleaner and check for chain wear, a worn chain wrecks your group set, new chains are cheap.

Comment

That's a good tip, got a new bike about 3 years ago, and don't go out when it rains, go for a walk instead. Still looks like new just saves a lot of hassle on maintenance, as I used to do the same thing. When I do go out in the rain I wipe it down afterwards and keep it well oiled. Usually go out three or four times a week and it rains a lot less often than you think.

I've thought about getting a sh*tty throw away bike for the rain and muddy wet rides, that's worth thinking about. My old bike drive me up the wall with things rusting up, breaking or seizing up.

If you can keep your bike indoors that's an alternative.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 March 2015, 09:58.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Avalonia View Post
            I never feel like cleaning my bike after a long ride but you have to get the worst of the tulip off. Salt , grit and grime destroys your bike. Hose it down after a ride , spin the cranks to get water off the chain and lube the chain and sprockets, this all takes two minutes . then clean the bike properly on another day. And get a chain cleaner and check for chain wear, a worn chain wrecks your group set, new chains are cheap.
            In my case it seems that water got in everywhere and screwed every bearing on the bike.

Comment

In my case it seems that water got in everywhere and screwed every bearing on the bike.
              You mean, your water broke?!

Comment

it's crap off the road ruining your bike not water

Comment

Mine was 60 quid 2nd hand. Works fine. Mind you, I only ever use it off road as lucky enough to have 15 miles of public foot/cycleway ex-railway tracks nearby, lack of any salt may help.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

my solution was to buy a bike but never ride it. it's still in perfect condition. I don't seem to be any fitter though.

Comment

Working...
                    X