• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Macbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Macbook

I see there are more changes

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Good video summary.

One of the reasons I've avoided iPhones is their refusal to use a common sense default USB connector.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Good video summary.

One of the reasons I've avoided iPhones is their refusal to use a common sense default USB connector.
      The new MacBook connector people are complaining about is a USB connector… USB 3.1 Type C generation 1 to be precise.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        The new MacBook connector people are complaining about is a USB connector… USB 3.1 Type C generation 1 to be precise.
        Maybe, but it would need a good reason for me to ever consider a MacBook, I've no interest in their computers.

It's their iPhones that vaguely appealed until I found out about the chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I don't think that the fact that is a new standard for USB connectors, just the fact to do with compatibility and availability. As noted below, it might be quite a while before peripherals may be available and who's to say that by the time they are, Apple might have moved onto another connector. Although I like their stuff, to me this is just another way of getting the consumer to fork out more money in order to have have the latest and greatest when you don't need it. Surely they would be better staying with what is currently available and then moving to the newer technology when it has reached a mass market. One day they'll go just to far and it'll come back to bite them...

USB 3.1 chipsets are still being developed and tested, and it could be months before peripherals start appearing. In tests, USB 3.1 connections aren’t reaching the full throughput of 10Gbps, but speeds will get faster as the controllers and chipsets are refined. For one, don’t expect USB 3.1 flash drives to go on sale in the next couple of years. The lack of peripherals is a problem also faced by Thunderbolt, a faster but more expensive connector technology used in other Macs. LaCie just announced a USB 3.0 drive with a USB-C connector to fit the new MacBooks, but it won't have USB 3.1 throughput speeds.
          USB 3.1 is backward compatible
          This means all devices running on USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 will be able to talk with the MacBook port. There are other cables besides Type-C for the MacBook to connect to older USB and micro-USB ports. The MacBook comes with a USB Type-C charging cable, and the others will need to be bought separately.
          If the USB 3.1 port is going to be used for charging, users will have to invest in extension cables, hubs or converters to open up the MacBook to external peripherals. Apple is selling a USB Type C to USB converter for $19, an extension cable for $29, and if needed, a USB-C power adapter for $49. Apple is also selling a $79 USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter so the new MacBook can simultaneously connect to a 1080p HDMI display, USB 3.0 device and a USB-C charging cable.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X