• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCLXXIII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCLXXIII

I would have been back on the bench today, if it wasn't for that pesky extension. Now I've got to sit here invoicing instead
    • Blade Runner at 25: Why the Sci-Fi F/X Are Still Unsurpassed - From 2007: ”A quarter-century after Ridley Scott's dark vision of the future changed the face of filmmaking, special-effects maestro and MythBuster Adam Savage offers an appreciation.” One of the reasons this popped up again is the recent publication of a load of photos taken in the Bladerunner model shop.

• Four years after Fukushima, just one man lives in the exclusion zone – to look after the animals - "Known as “the last man from Fukushima“, 55-year-old Matsumura is the only person still living in the exclusion zone around the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which suffered a meltdown after the major earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on March 11, 2011. Yet Matsumura, nicknamed Macchan, is not alone. He has remained in his home in the coastal town of Tomioka, around seven miles from Fukushima’s stricken nuclear reactors, in order to look after the area’s animals."

• 25 Essential Tube Hacks From Londoners - ”Make the hell that is your daily tube journey that little bit more tolerable.” Handy roundup of assorted tricks and tips for using the Tube, such as when to ignore the signs, when just not to use it, and when it can be quicker to go up and down the escalators rather than use the corridor between platforms

• Goat Simulator Post Mortem - Armin Ibrisagic of Coffee Stain Studios on lessons learned from developing the unexpected hit game: ”Perhaps the only thing that was more strange than the game itself was the way it was developed. We’ve discarded a large part of game development practices that are usually fundamental to how you make games. We’ve made a game in a way we never thought we would, and it actually worked.”

• Why ancient myths about volcanoes are often true - Jane Palmer on vulcanologists’ realisation that myths and legends often turn out to correlate with actual events: ”Tanovo’s rival, chief of the volcano Nabukelevu, pushed his mountain up and blocked Tanovo’s view of the sunset. Enraged at this, and robbed of the pacifying effects of his daily meditation, Tanovo wove giant coconut-fibre baskets and began to remove earth from the mountain… his scientific investigation of the region concluded that the volcano had not erupted for 50,000 years, long before the island was first inhabited around 2000 B.C. The myth, it seemed, was simply a story—not a description of previous events… “The cultural memory was right, and our scientific surveys were wrong.””

• Lead prosecutor apologizes for role in sending man to death row - "Attorney A.M. "Marty" Stroud III, of Shreveport, was the lead prosecutor in the December 1984 first-degree murder trial of Glenn Ford, who was sentenced to death for the Nov. 5, 1983 death of Shreveport jeweler Isadore Rozeman. Ford was released from prison March 11, 2014, after the state admitted new evidence proving Ford was not the killer." WARNING: this page includes autoplaying video, with a pre-roll advertisement, and you have to scroll down two or three times to get to the damn thing and stop it.

• Why did this image of a crying doctor go viral? Here's why. - ”Outside of a Southern California hospital, an ER doctor is crouched down against a concrete wall grieving the loss of his 19-year-old patient. A paramedic snaps a photo of the tender scene. His coworker, a close friend of the doctor, posts the photo (with permission) online… Thousands of people have commented on the web. In their own words, here is why the photo went viral.”

• The Sting: How the FBI Created a Terrorist - The vast majority of so-called terrorist plots detected in the USA are actually funded by the FBI. Here’s how it works: ”But if Osmakac was a terrorist, he was only one in his troubled mind and in the minds of ambitious federal agents. The government could not provide any evidence that he had connections to international terrorists. He didn’t have his own weapons. He didn’t even have enough money to replace the dead battery in his beat-up, green 1994 Honda Accord. Osmakac was the target of an elaborately orchestrated FBI sting that involved a paid informant, as well as FBI agents and support staff working on the setup for more than three months. The FBI provided all of the weapons seen in Osmakac’s martyrdom video. The bureau also gave Osmakac the car bomb he allegedly planned to detonate, and even money for a taxi so he could get to where the FBI needed him to go.”

• 'Can Everyone Please Leave Me Alone' Confessions Of A Loud-Mouthed Introvert - Dolly Alderton on discovering that she’s quite happy on her own, actually: ”I used to say I loved being in teams to make people like me because I thought it was a cool, fun extroverted thing to say but I don't. I don't like office sweepstakes or group emails, I don't like going to the pub with everyone at six o'clock and I’d rather sit through Hurricane Katrina than one more bloody brain storm.”

• Amazing art made with old audio cassette tapes - " Erika Iris Simmons has definitely done something useful with her tapes. She is an artist who specializes in using non-traditional media such as old books, audio cassettes, playing cards, magazines, credit cards, basically whatever she can find."

Happy invoicing!

cassette art, now that is impressive. I couldn't get anywhere close to that even if I had a painting by numbers kit
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Thank You NF for another marvellous compilation - I did enjoy the Hendrix Cassette Art !

Keep Up The Good Work ...

Comment

Cheers folks

Comment

Working...
        X