• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can someone please explain the Duckworth/Lewis method?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did New Zealand need a high target than South Africa from the same number of overs?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    How did New Zealand need a high target than South Africa from the same number of overs?
    You could use google to find the duckworth-lewis website and then check their FAQs where (strangely enough) this is the second question...

Duckworth-Lewis.com - FAQ

When the interruption occurs during the first innings, so that the match is shortened to one of fewer overs per side than it was at its start, Team 1 are usually more disadvantaged than Team 2. Before the stoppage they had been pacing their innings in the expectation of receiving say 50 overs and would not have taken the risks of scoring as fast as they would have done had they known their innings was to be shortened. Team 2, on the other hand, know from the start of their innings that they have the reduced number of overs and can pace their entire innings accordingly. Team 2 are set a higher target to compensate Team1 for this disadvantage.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It includes wickets lost as well as overs remaining.

A team with more wickets left and the same number of overs can afford to play more aggresively and so increase their run rate. This means they get set a higher total.

Alternatively

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ohh a Rickenbacker. Looks like a poverty spec 330 though...

Comment

It is a lot of balls of you ask me.

Comment

All that effort and it still ends in a draw.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It's when Jack and Vera go to Oxford to help solve murders.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                All that effort and it still ends in a draw.
                Actually, Duckworth/Lewis is only used in limited overs games, which don't have draws. Such a game can be an abandonment or 'no result' due to inclement conditions, like weather or a sudden coup d'etat, or finish in a tie. But it is not a 'draw'.

Comment

Working...
                X