• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is GBP tanking again the Euro all of a sudden?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is GBP tanking again the Euro all of a sudden?

Only last week the media had stories about cheap holiday to be had in euroland. Looks like the offer was short lived.

Not a couple of weeks ago you could have had €1.42 to the £, now its €1.35

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Only last week the media had stories about cheap holiday to be had in euroland. Looks like the offer was short lived.

Not a couple of weeks ago you could have had €1.42 to the £, now its €1.35

Because I'm off skiing in a couple of weeks and I haven't got currency yet. Don't worry, it'll bounce back circa 4th April. You could even make some dirty spekulating cash in the interim if you were that way inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      Because I'm off skiing in a couple of weeks and I haven't got currency yet. Don't worry, it'll bounce back circa 4th April. You could even make some dirty spekulating cash in the interim if you were that way inclined.
      I'll sell you some euro. Give you a good price. Seriously actually, there's a peer to peer currency exchange service I read about recently, don't remember the name of it though..
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yep off to spain week sat
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Yep off to spain week sat
          Is it the beach or the wonderful gardens of Granada?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I'll sell you some euro. Give you a good price. Seriously actually, there's a peer to peer currency exchange service I read about recently, don't remember the name of it though..
            I used Transferwise.com last time I wanted to send money... is that the one you mean?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I used Transferwise.com last time I wanted to send money... is that the one you mean?
              That's the one. Thanks.

Need to have read. Last year sent tens of thousands back to the UK through the bank, stupid I know...
              Last edited by scooterscot; 26 March 2015, 11:02.

Comment

It's a clever system - they don't actually convert the money but rely on having pools of money in each currency sitting about. One of those "how did nobody think of that?" ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It's a clever system - they don't actually convert the money but rely on having pools of money in each currency sitting about. One of those "how did nobody think of that?" ideas.
                  To be fair that's pretty much the original model of how international banking was always done. Pool of resources at each end and then it's reconciled by transfer of easily portable assets, far from new

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    To be fair that's pretty much the original model of how international banking was always done. Pool of resources at each end and then it's reconciled by transfer of easily portable assets, far from new
                    Well yes, they're just numbers in a ledger. But by doing it away from the banks all pretence of a conversion is shed.

Comment

Working...
                    X