• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract - substitution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract - substitution

Hello,

I've always been a permy, over 18years, but decided to make the jump into contracting. Resigned 3 weeks ago after securing my first contract for 6 months. So, due to start next week and the final contract came through for this first assignment today. On the signature page, under special conditions, they have removed the clause for substitution, saying "Clause XX does not apply". I decided to operate through a ltd company and am quite comfortable with the fact I should be outside IR35, following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this I realise that this is a very important clause in the contract. Just wondering how to approach this now, should I just ask for the special condition to be removed, or explain myself in any way? To further complicate, the contract isn't with the agency that found me the assignment, it is with the clients outsourced HR provider. If it was the agency I would have been much more comfortable negotiating. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Who checked the contract? Qdos?

Comment

Originally posted by ORVBA View Post
      Hello,

I've always been a permy, over 18years, but decided to make the jump into contracting. Resigned 3 weeks ago after securing my first contract for 6 months. So, due to start next week and the final contract came through for this first assignment today. On the signature page, under special conditions, they have removed the clause for substitution, saying "Clause XX does not apply". I decided to operate through a ltd company and am quite comfortable with the fact I should be outside IR35, following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this I realise that this is a very important clause in the contract. Just wondering how to approach this now, should I just ask for the special condition to be removed, or explain myself in any way? To further complicate, the contract isn't with the agency that found me the assignment, it is with the clients outsourced HR provider. If it was the agency I would have been much more comfortable negotiating. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
      Tell them that it is a condition of your insurance that that clause must be present.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Who checked the contract? Qdos?
        He/she said "following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this" but didn't mean he/she had actually followed the brilliant advice and had their contract reviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Tell them that it is a condition of your insurance that that clause must be present.
          But that's not true.. And even if you could pull it off there is going to be a problem with the contract not matching working conditions.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            He/she said "following the brilliant advice I've found on websites such as this" but didn't mean he/she had actually followed the brilliant advice and had their contract reviewed.
            Damn! Was I too subtle?

Comment

Speak to Baur and Cottrell about contract checks. They will do the negotiations on your behalf

It is important but it's not the only Clause. As long as the D&C and MoO is covered you should be OK. Just make sure B&C or maybe QDOS review the rest of the contract for you...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Damn! Was I too subtle?
                Not for me, I got it right away but whinestrone might have read the thread and you knpw how thick he is

Comment

Thanks all

I literally just got the contract in my hands and read it myself before anything else and saw the clausebeing removed on the signature page which prompted my post as it seemed a obvious issue for IR35...following what I've read here.

My question was as a first timer, is how to approach the client about changes. There may well be more after a professional review should I decide to have one, that wasn't my question but yes I was seriously considering it regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Speak to Baur and Cottrell about contract checks. They will do the negotiations on your behalf

It is important but it's not the only Clause. As long as the D&C and MoO is covered you should be OK. Just make sure B&C or maybe QDOS review the rest of the contract for you...
                    Thanks, I didn't realise they could negotiate on my behalf. Sounds good, just looking them up now.

Comment

Working...
                    X