• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn gravity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn gravity

Physical laws are suppose to be absolute but I find they sometimes take time out to annoy me.

Put a water butt on my greenhouse and ran a hose from the overflow to the pond so it will stay topped up. The overflow looks to be about a foot above the surface of the pond but the water won't flow. Have to drop the pond end of the hose 6 ins below the pond surface before it will.

Thought it must be some optical illusion due to the land slope but sighting along a plank of wood with a spirit level on it confirms that the overflow is well above the pond. The water is simply refusing to flow downhill!!!

Is there someone I can complain to about this?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Blockage in the pipe? Not uncommon at your age.

Maybe a snail is living in there?

Comment

Have you tried sucking it?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Physical laws are suppose to be absolute but I find they sometimes take time out to annoy me.

Put a water butt on my greenhouse and ran a hose from the overflow to the pond so it will stay topped up. The overflow looks to be about a foot above the surface of the pond but the water won't flow. Have to drop the pond end of the hose 6 ins below the pond surface before it will.

Thought it must be some optical illusion due to the land slope but sighting along a plank of wood with a spirit level on it confirms that the overflow is well above the pond. The water is simply refusing to flow downhill!!!

Are you in Wales?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nope, not blocked pipe. Lower end of pipe and surface bobs up and down, lower more and it flows freely. I know this sounds like another silly invention but it ain't. I'm mystified! Or senile.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

attach a piece of string at 1m height at one end, make sure it's as stiff as possible (again problematic at your age) and measure the height at which it is level.
            The difference of height should be more that 1% for paved surface or more than 2% for turf or landscaped areas.

Comment

Nope, not blocked pipe. Lower end of pipe and surface bobs up and down, lower more and it flows freely. I know this sounds like another silly invention but it ain't. I'm mystified! Or senile.
              That is your problem!

Comment

God! He done make water flow uphill...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Perhaps the overflow starts lower than the outlet?

Comment

Working...
                  X