• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

slack.com

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slack.com

Any fans?

Interesting reading about companies that have given up email. slack.com came up as one of the options for teams of people managing communications. But generally emailing becoming obsolete? I don't see it happening anytime soon. What do the people think?

I agree there's a uselessness about email when it comes to archiving messages I'll probably never read again yet hold on to them just for a snippet of information.

BBC - Capital - The end of the inbox: Companies that banned email
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I have seen a few places try and use Yammer or the like, I assume this is similar?

Email will never die, mainly as we will always need a way to cover our asses when the tulip hits the fan
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I have seen a few places try and use Yammer or the like, I assume this is similar?

Email will never die, mainly as we will always need a way to cover our asses when the tulip hits the fan
      Yes, like Yammer, although not as cluttered or trying to be facebook for business.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, I'm using it for log4net to write to a channel.

Comment

I'm doing some stuff with this: IBM Verse - Business Email Solution - United States - IBM - Business email platform - IBM Verse - United States
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

We've been using slack for our Plan B project for a few month's now and it's pretty good tbh, but I wouldn't ever say it's a replacement for email - they're two separate things.

Before trying slack we were using Whatsapp on our phones to chat about project stuff, combined with the odd email here and there for more important issues and things we needed to keep a record of.

Slack has helped reduce the number of emails we send while providing a more 'business-oriented' alternative to Whatsapp (Slack has a pretty decent mobile app), but I would still turn to an email if I wanted to write long messages otherwise you end up spamming recipients with dozens of notifications as you type in your messages.

What really makes Slack useful IMO are the integrations with other third-party tools. We've set up channels to get notifications when payments are made to us, another channel for source-control check-ins, and we've just started using Trello for recording tasks and that integrates with Slack too so it becomes something of a one-stop location to keep up-to-date with what's going on in the team.

I recommended it to a friend who's a dev manager and his team are loving it as they've got it integrated with their build pipeline too.

Comment

It looks like Google Wave, anyone still using that?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                It looks like Google Wave, anyone still using that?
                Probably not, given that it shut down three years ago: https://support.google.com/answer/1083134?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Probably not, given that it shut down three years ago: https://support.google.com/answer/1083134?hl=en
                  Will Google+ go the same way?

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    Will Google+ go the same way?
                    We can but hope…

I read something the other week about the G+ product owner having moved to some other project that's going to be the Next Big Thing, and various other indications that Google are pulling back from pushing it so heavily. But who knows.

Comment

Working...
                    X