• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How important is the agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How important is the agent?

I confess a misleading title, I am on about letting agents.

I am both a tenant and a landlord, I let my house directly to the tenant no agent involved, go through a major chain when it comes to the place I am letting, either sides of the same coin have so far been seamless.

I am looking to move to a bigger place and seen quite a nice place, good location and rent is acceptable, however I am getting red flags from the agent it is being listed with, to call it tin pot is generous, half filled website with a few other properties listed (not including the one I am looking at), showing as dissolved on Companies House (although technically it seems it was never really started as no accounts filed ever).

Now my heart is saying as long as the contract is legit, and deposit in a registered scheme everything else is just a hassle if things go wrong, if I can rent my house out directly why can't someone else, but then again this site has made me mistrusting of any agent!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

I suppose the question is, can you contact the actual landlord of the new place if you don't trust their agent? If the answer to that is no then you've no options, deal with their agent or walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I confess a misleading title, I am on about letting agents.

I am both a tenant and a landlord, I let my house directly to the tenant no agent involved, go through a major chain when it comes to the place I am letting, either sides of the same coin have so far been seamless.
      On the same boat, landlord and tenant. Sacked the agent a few months ago as a result of a number of small issues including failing to pass the rent on to me for two months in a row. they're currently threatening me with the small claims court arguing I'm using 'their' tenant.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Now my heart is saying as long as the contract is legit, and deposit in a registered scheme everything else is just a hassle if things go wrong, if I can rent my house out directly why can't someone else, but then again this site has made me mistrusting of any agent!
      I've long given up on the idea the deposit would cover any meaningful damage. That's what landlord insurance is for, the cost of which I price into the rent. Here in Germany a deposit is meaningful, 3-4 months of the rent, whereas in the UK you are talking a month, which would get swallowed up soon as blink.

Your original question for me is a problem because of the distance. I'd be happy to do without, as is currently, but I need to make sure the house is being looked after. So I maintain the tenant helps me with this and in return I make sure he has no issues. That works.

Notwithstanding this relationship, please dear god someone come up with a scheme before another annoying San Francisco tech startup comes up with an idea where landlords look after each others properties for a small fee.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 30 March 2015, 10:16.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Their currently ...

You're original question
        Scooter, seriously, you should learn correct usage/spelling of their/there/they're and your/you're it would improve your writing no end.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Scooter, seriously, you should learn correct usage/spelling of their/there/they're and your/you're it would improve your writing no end.
          Been pointed out repeatedly with no changes, it's either a Gittins Gal style affectation to get a reaction or he really is an illiterate moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            it's not a question of education, just lazy

Amendments complete. Not looking forward to this year's report card.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 30 March 2015, 10:17.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I suppose the question is, can you contact the actual landlord of the new place if you don't trust their agent? If the answer to that is no then you've no options, deal with their agent or walk away.
              Agreed - if you have to deal with the agent day to day then I'd say it's critically important. Our agency have been great - the only time they let us down was when the shower broke. They promised someone would come and then the guy cancelled at 4:00pm just before a bank holiday weekend - I called up, explained I was going to get a like for like from B&Q and invoice them. I did so and they paid with no qualms.

I'd hate to have to do all that with a crappy agent.

Comment

Working...
              X