• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the bench!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the bench!

Hello all. I wanted to get an idea from others in a similar situation to me and share my somewhat frustration at landing a new contract.

I completed my last assignment just before Christmas 2014 and have since been looking for a new role. My search started convincingly but had since somewhat died down. I have found the market to be very client driven and roles advertised have been either eventually filled after being put forward by the agency or budgets pulled...I have a few 'irons in the fire' right now but find clients are taking am awful long time to get back to recruitment agencies.

Does anyone else find this to be the case when out of contract?

I am an IT PMO/Project manager and my last role was over 4 years so finding it a little strange being 'on the bench' for this long or to land another role now. Coincidence or not the last time I was out of contract for nearly 6 months was the last UK elections!

Is it a coincidence or have I found it to be quieter due to upcoming elections too?

Any other thoughts/feelings appreciated?

Thanks

Originally posted by jas View Post
    Hello all. I wanted to get an idea from others in a similar situation to me and share my somewhat frustration at landing a new contract.

I completed my last assignment just before Christmas 2014 and have since been looking for a new role. My search started convincingly but had since somewhat died down. I have found the market to be very client driven and roles advertised have been either eventually filled after being put forward by the agency or budgets pulled...I have a few 'irons in the fire' right now but find clients are taking am awful long time to get back to recruitment agencies.

Does anyone else find this to be the case when out of contract?

I am an IT PMO/Project manager and my last role was over 4 years so finding it a little strange being 'on the bench' for this long or to land another role now. Coincidence or not the last time I was out of contract for nearly 6 months was the last UK elections!

Is it a coincidence or have I found it to be quieter due to upcoming elections too?

Any other thoughts/feelings appreciated?

Thanks
    Me too I've had continuous projects for three years and now the market's flatter then a boiled Easter egg. I imagine work will pick up after Easter, it usually does.
    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
      Me too I've had continuous projects for three years and now the market's flatter then a boiled Easter egg. I imagine work will pick up after Easter, it usually does.
      Personally I think the market will only pick up after the election result is declared and that uncertainty removed...

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        Personally I think the market will only pick up after the election result is declared and that uncertainty removed...

Boo
        Don't know about PM roles but the market for Devs has certainly picked up since the start of the year, especially in the South and North (midlands is still tulip but that's always the case).

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post

Boo
          This but its still a very hard job market regardless way too many high quality applicants all competing for the same few roles!

Comment

The bench is a wonderful place to be, so why not (if you are inclined to find another role) spend an allotted time or times each day searching for one and outside of that ENJOY YOUR TIME. People spend far too long worrying about the next role to enjoy their time off. Three weeks into your next contract, you'll look back and say "I wish I was on the bloody bench" or at least "I wish I'd made more of my time on the bench".

Comment

Originally posted by LancelotBarre View Post
              The bench is a wonderful place to be, so why not (if you are inclined to find another role) spend an allotted time or times each day searching for one and outside of that ENJOY YOUR TIME. People spend far too long worrying about the next role to enjoy their time off. Three weeks into your next contract, you'll look back and say "I wish I was on the bloody bench" or at least "I wish I'd made more of my time on the bench".
              It would be OK were it not for my pot being far too small for comfort - in 3 months I won't have one to p&%$ in. Today I have been repointing brickwork and driving kids about. Mrs has given me a long list of DIY. At the end of the week I'm expecting a nasty letter from HMRC telling me I'm Donald Ducked.
              WGAS?
              I'm off to the mountains tomorrow
              Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
              http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Well unless you're in London, its the way the market is now.

Lots of people seem to be finding after being at one client for a long time, the next contract is hard to get.

It seems some clients dont want to know you if you've moved fairly regularly and some who dont want to know you if you've been with the same client a long time.

I found clients were frequently taking back contractors who'd worked for them before. Ive just gone back to a client I last worked with over 3 years ago. The telephone interview consistened of 'how are you?' and 'when can you start?' Other pleasantries meant the interview lasted all of 15 minutes!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                  It would be OK were it not for my pot being far too small for comfort - in 3 months I won't have one to p&%$ in. Today I have been repointing brickwork and driving kids about. Mrs has given me a long list of DIY. At the end of the week I'm expecting a nasty letter from HMRC telling me I'm Donald Ducked.
                  WGAS?
                  I'm off to the mountains tomorrow
                  3 years of continuous work and warchest only 3 months big? You're clearly spending more than you should.

Comment

I would recommend going for permie roles.

I used to be a contractor for many years, and went permie. The market is still there but it's sh*te. Don't sit there watching your money drain away, you've been on the bench long enough.

On the positive side, I think you'll have no problem getting a permie job.

Have you tried London, that is probably the one area where you could still get contractor roles?
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 April 2015, 07:12.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X