• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a contract in the banking world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a contract in the banking world

I've been contracting as a project manager for almost 3 years. The majority of my work has been digital project such as ios/android app and web builds, but I have a background in IT so quite enjoy interating with big ole horrible backend systems.

I generally get rates in the region of £450-£500 which is quite good for digital work.

Now I want to dip my toes in the finance water and go for the big rates. But the problem is that I have no experience.

Speaking to my mates in FS it's clear that the industry is full of useless lazy muppets () and I expect I'd be doing a better job than them within a couple of weeks. But no experience is, as we know, a big blocker.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas or suggestions on how I might get into the industry without any noticing that I've got no background in it?

Untouchable1

p.s. if 10% of the responses have some value I'll be happy! There is plenty of scope for pisstaking in this thread...

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
    I've been contracting as a project manager for almost 3 years. The majority of my work has been digital project such as ios/android app and web builds, but I have a background in IT so quite enjoy interating with big ole horrible backend systems.

I generally get rates in the region of £450-£500 which is quite good for digital work.

Now I want to dip my toes in the finance water and go for the big rates. But the problem is that I have no experience.

Speaking to my mates in FS it's clear that the industry is full of useless lazy muppets () and I expect I'd be doing a better job than them within a couple of weeks. But no experience is, as we know, a big blocker.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas or suggestions on how I might get into the industry without any noticing that I've got no background in it?

Untouchable1

p.s. if 10% of the responses have some value I'll be happy! There is plenty of scope for pisstaking in this thread...
    You absolutely must have FS on your CV - try smaller banks - anything, even shoe shining/orange peeling if it gets FS on your CV. Once you're in, its all ok. You also have to go through a vetting process where they look for "employment" history for the previous five years and want explanations of any gaps in between plus credit rating etc etc plus a personal reference plus details of any trips abroad blah blah blah. Look at Background Checks & Employment Screening Services| SterlingBackcheck
    Hope that helps.
    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Are you really sure the bib bucks are still there in banking? I was under the impression that ship has sailed?

What does jobserve say?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
        You absolutely must have FS on your CV - try smaller banks - anything, even shoe shining/orange peeling if it gets FS on your CV. Once you're in, its all ok. You also have to go through a vetting process where they look for "employment" history for the previous five years and want explanations of any gaps in between plus credit rating etc etc plus a personal reference plus details of any trips abroad blah blah blah. Look at Background Checks & Employment Screening Services| SterlingBackcheck
        Hope that helps.
        I went through a small consultancy outfit the first time, as part of a team for a big project where they couldn't get enough people.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Are you really sure the bib bucks are still there in banking? I was under the impression that ship has sailed?

What does jobserve say?
          There are contractor possibilities due to headcount freezes. It's the usual story - the work's still there but there's not enough people to do it.

The "bib" bucks are not the same as they used to be
          Last edited by flamel; 31 March 2015, 13:04. Reason: added word

Comment

Business Analyst - IT Infrastructure (ref: DM-6291)

b2e-resourcing.com

This sort of thing is what I was talking about

Poor day rate but it gets you in the door
            Last edited by flamel; 31 March 2015, 13:19. Reason: added day rate comment

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
              Business Analyst - IT Infrastructure (ref: DM-6291)

b2e-resourcing.com

This sort of thing is what I was talking about

Poor day rate but it gets you in the door
              What sort of dayrate are they on about? Doesn't mention on the advert.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                No day rate on advert, or the infamous market rate usually = tulip rate!...

Comment

If you mean retail banking, then you are probably a good ten years late I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    It's a "can I be bothered to get out of bed" £400 pd - but if someone really wants to get into FS they may well be the only applicant

Comment

Working...
                    X