• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripping DVDs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripping DVDs

I've had enough of my DVDs, taking up too much space and to be honest, can't be bothered with the hassle of playing them in the player.

So, time to rip them and setup some sort of home server.

Firstly, what's the format of choice when ripping DVDs? Don't have any particular association with any particular brands but I do have Chromecast, AppleTV but open to suggestions.. eg Plex

So, what's the best format to rip to?

Also, I'm using Handbrake to do the ripping..

Thoughts..

Thoughts... it's usually quicker to download one that someone else made earlier from t'internet than to do this yourself.

Personally, I favour mp4 format as this seems universally playable.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
      I've had enough of my DVDs, taking up too much space and to be honest, can't be bothered with the hassle of playing them in the player.

So, time to rip them and setup some sort of home server.

Firstly, what's the format of choice when ripping DVDs? Don't have any particular association with any particular brands but I do have Chromecast, AppleTV but open to suggestions.. eg Plex

So, what's the best format to rip to?

Also, I'm using Handbrake to do the ripping..

Thoughts..
      Rather than some CD/DVD-specific format that will be obsolete and forgotten in a few years, I would write them in a standard OS file system format of some kind.

Of course the question then is which one is likely to be around the longest. It'll be interesting to see other answers. ..
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I'd rather rip the DVDs myself to ensure a standard format. Plus I have some 'oldies' that I'd rather rip myself, like my 21 DVD Laurel & Hardy boxset, Harold Lloyd, etc so its not all mainstream.

I just want the format that can be played on most formats, simply and easily.

Also, looking to rip the BluRays as well.

Comment

I use DVD Decrypt and/or DVD Shrink if from a DVD. If it's the wrong region then Decrypt will take off the region, then DVD shrink can just take off the movie & shrink to 4.35 GB. Or leave it at whatever size from decrypt. I tend to just extract the film, with no extras. Or they can be downloaded from Youtube / OVdrive, just depends. For series DVDs I tend to just shrink the whole disc. I've got a media player in the lounge which can handle the menus. If ripped to a hard drive (for usb), a lot of dvd players can't handle the menus, so they need to be a single film/episode.

I've tried handbrake, but it took too long to load a dvd, so gave up with it. Don't forget to backup them up, otherwise you'll have to do them all over again.

Just read the reply, as well as L&H, don't forget the Will Hay, Ealing Studios. I didn't do Blu-Ray as I've got most already from DVD, and they can be very large (50gb per film)

For playback, I use VLC media player
          Last edited by anonymouse; 7 April 2015, 14:38.

Comment

IVI Pro rips DVD's, as does Handbrake, first paid for second free.

Like others have said - I just nick 'em off the internet now if it's something I've got on DVD - get the HD version tho if possible. Nowadays I buy what I really want from iTunes Store, usually wait for some sort of offer though!

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
              Just read the reply, as well as L&H, don't forget the Will Hay, Ealing Studios. I didn't do Blu-Ray as I've got most already from DVD, and they can be very large (50gb per film) ...
              WHS about Will Hay (and Ealing Studios)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I decrypt, rip and copy to NAS.

Then using something like handbrake encode for the viewing platform.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I use Anydvd to rip to an iso file, then I use handbrake to make an mp4 out of that to play via plex, then store the iso on a external HDD if i need to go back to it.
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I decrypt, rip and copy to NAS....
                    I just decrypt and rip. The NSA do the copying.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X