• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peru

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peru

Anyone here been? Thinking of taking a jaunt over that way next month.. what were your experiences?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Ask Paddington
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

They eat contractors there:

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I got scared off by the Sendero Luminoso.

Don't think they're active any more though....

Comment

Pondy knows Peru.

I did the Inca Trail last year - fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
            They eat contractors there:

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Anyone here been? Thinking of taking a jaunt over that way next month.. what were your experiences?
              Went years ago. Loved it.

Didn't do the Inca Trail, stayed at a town at the foot of Machu Pichu called Aguas Calientes. The shops literally line both sides of the railway line. Got a bus up before the hoards of tourists arrived.

Cusco is an amazing city, as is Lima too with it's colonial style buildings. Stayed just outside of Lima in Miraflores.

Also, you should go to Bolivia and see Lake Titicaca and La Paz. Take the railway line from Puno to Aguas Calientes and stop at La Raya pass which is the highest station in the world at 14,000 feet.

Word of warning, we suffered altitude sickness whilst there, drinking lots of Coca leaf tea definitely helps and doesn't get you high (unfortunately)!
              Last edited by SantaClaus; 8 April 2015, 20:27.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                Went years ago. Loved it.

Didn't do the Inca Trail, stayed at a town at the foot of Machu Pichu called Aguas Calientes. The shops literally line both sides of the railway line. Got a bus up before the hoards of tourists arrived.

Cusco is an amazing city, as is Lima too with it's colonial style buildings. Stayed just outside of Lima in Miraflores.

Also, you should go to Bolivia and see Lake Titicaca and La Paz. Take the railway line from Puno to Aguas Calientes and stop at La Raya pass which is the highest station in the world at 14,000 feet.

Word of warning, we suffered altitude sickness whilst there, drinking lots of Coca leaf tea definitely helps and doesn't get you high (unfortunately)!
                Sounds amazing. Sorely tempted to book that flight.

You're not the first to mention about the altitude sickness. It sometimes strikes when I'm skiing up in the alps, so I tend to always carry some aspirin with me.

How did you travel to La Paz from Puno?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

17 days to go!

and vaccination time. So I contacted my GP here in München and he wants to give me an ultrasound the morrow. Whit?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    and vaccination time. So I contacted my GP here in München and he wants to give me an ultrasound the morrow. Whit?
                    good luck amigo.
                    post the photos, forget the election and tell us about the local brew

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X