• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shopping at Booker Wholesale - what's the point?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping at Booker Wholesale - what's the point?

When I was a permie I was trying to become a client of Booker to get access to their wholesale prices. But I was not even allowed in to see the prices, they said it's only for catering businesses, asked me to register and show my limited company papers first. That must be everything half a Tesco's price if they protect the entrance that well - I though.
    Some time later I became a contractor, registered a limited company and registered as Booker client and finally did some shopping. To my surprise I did not notice much difference in prices between them and Tesco. I did not notice many customers there either. Spent there about ten quid then drove to Waitrose where bought the rest of weekly shopping.
    Can anyone tell me how Booker makes profit and what's the point shopping there?
    Last edited by Ltd; 8 April 2015, 18:25.

Originally posted by Ltd View Post
    When I was a permie I was trying to become a client of Booker to get access to their wholesale prices. But I was not even allowed in to see the prices, they said it's only for catering businesses, asked me to register and show my limited company papers first.
    Some time later I became a contractor, registered a limited company and registered as Booker client and finally did some shopping. To my surprise I did not notice much difference in prices between them and Tesco. I did not notice many customers there either. Spent there about ten quid then drove to Waitrose where bought the rest of weekly shopping.
    Can anyone tell me how Booker makes profit and what's the point shopping there?
    Used to go to Makro but cost of fuel + cheaper retail competition made it not worth my while.

Comment

As with nearly all shops, you will find that they sell some things cheaper than elsewhere and some things that cost more. For example, it's generally cheaper to buy Pepsi Max at Lidl than in Makro, assuming your local Lidl has the stock.

However, Makro is cheaper for things like tictacs and chewing gum than Tesco is.

Plus if you have the storage space, I find it much more convenient to buy the larger packs at Makro / Booker than it is to have to buy them individually at the supermarket.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Booker is aimed at catering businesses, ice cream vans (or catering vans) and corner shops.

Did you look in, for example, catering butchery and get a price for 80 lbs of bacon or a gross of chicken breasts ?
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Booker is aimed at catering businesses, ice cream vans (or catering vans) and corner shops.
          Did you not check out the cost of potatoes, you can make a lot of chips at those prices ?
          FTFY
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I still keep wondering where do restaurants buy food.

Comment

3663 and Brakes mostly.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Multiple suppliers if they're good, no? Local butchers and so on?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X