PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear: House prices won't crash

PRC1964
10th June 2005, 11:16
This forum has veered away from it's core topic recently, so here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4076194.stm) is a BBC article on the lack of a house price crash.

Sorry to those of you renting in the hope of picking up a cheap bargain.

DimPrawn
10th June 2005, 11:19
My sister-in-law has been looking to buy her 1st place in London for about 5 yrs now. Always waiting for that "right moment" to enter the property ladder.

She finally bought last week. :eek

Women eh?

Lucifer Box
10th June 2005, 11:22
Stable interest rates, steady economic growth and underlying confidence in future prospects are expected to limit any price falls, experts say.
Oh. I thought everyone was saying that we're standing on the edge of a precipice

DBNO
10th June 2005, 11:39
Your sister is very foolish on two accounts.

1. For waiting for 5 years :eek
2. For buying now just before a slump! :rollin

fiddleabout
10th June 2005, 11:41
> Your sister is very foolish

Obviously a trait which runs in the Prawn family

DimPrawn
10th June 2005, 11:45
Sister-in-law

The Prawns are a shrewd and cunning breed.

fiddleabout
10th June 2005, 11:47
bugger :o

that'll teach me to read stuff before taking the piss

cooperinliverp00l
10th June 2005, 11:50
"The Prawns are a shrewd and cunning breed. "

That like cocktails, salads, currys :\ Trying to think of other dishes that Prawns go with

threaded
10th June 2005, 11:51
Biriani

fiddleabout
10th June 2005, 11:57
Nice to see our friend threaded is still an expert on food despite his recent conversion to a healthy lifestyle.

DimPrawn
10th June 2005, 12:06
Arr, but look at Threaded now after only a few weeks at ladies aerobics and half portions of pork pie.

http://www.leanforlife.com.au/health_clubs/images/healthy_man_08.jpg

rootsnall
10th June 2005, 12:34
I think it'll slump ( crash !? ) anyway but the one thing that could prop property prices up are the combination of low interest rates and high employment levels. Remove either and there will be trouble, it may not come this year, or next year, or the one after that, but eventually it will come and the 30% above trend prices will head back to trend.

Lucifer Box
10th June 2005, 12:36
the one thing that could prop property prices up are the combination of low interest rates and high employment levels
Plus Gordon Brown's kind offer to pump billions of pounds of taxpayer's money into shared equity deals for those struggling to get a foot on the housing ladder / Britain's hard-working families *

* delete as applicable, depending on the flavour of the week this week.

shaunbhoy
10th June 2005, 13:59
that'll teach me to read stuff before taking the piss

I can't see what brings you to that conclusion fiddle. Little else has compelled you to be so diligent before offering absurd suggestions!
:rollin

Mr UK Bean
13th June 2005, 20:36
That’s not what it says here and these are official figures.

www.citywire.co.uk/News/N...onID=74965 (http://www.citywire.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?VersionID=74965)

Prices went down 0.8% last month

Now what was you saying about renting and losing money because last month the average house lost just under £2k

DBNO
13th June 2005, 21:13
Renters are better off in a way because rents are cheap and with a mortgage you end up paying double the cost of the house anyway over 25 years :rollin

The ONLY way to do it is to buy places outright :hat

DimPrawn
14th June 2005, 13:39
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4090860.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4090860.stm)

The number of chartered surveyors reporting falling house prices has reached its highest level for more than 12 years, a survey has said.
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) said the balance of surveyors reporting price falls over rises reached minus 49 in May.

Rics added that the number of enquiries from new buyers had dipped recently.

Boom years over

Rics' seasonally-adjusted figure of minus 49 was the lowest balance it had recorded since November 1992.

It said the most noticeable price falls had been seen in the Midlands and Yorkshire & Humberside. Scotland was the only part of the UK to see prices rise.

"The froth has come off the market," said Jeremy Leaf from Rics.

"Choosy buyers can now afford to bide their time as available property has risen by a quarter in the past year.

"Sellers must adapt their behaviour to account for the fact that boom conditions of recent years have come to an end."

Boom or bust then?