• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid little 'well done' awards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid little 'well done' awards

Clients who insist on giving out stupid little 'well done' awards at every opportinity. Am I just a grumpy old git or does anyone else find this irritiating?

I don't mind when someone's gone above and beyond, but 9 time out of 10 it's just for doing what they're paid to do.

Worst of all when you're expected to gather round for some wooping and clapping whilst some poor sole is presented with a card and a box of chocs.

Grrrrrrrr.
    Last edited by Project Monkey; 9 April 2015, 13:56.

It's not just you.

Last place I worked held a monthly awards thing, which some people took far too seriously for the sake of a plastic trophy and the 'privilege' of a front row parking space for a month.

I've even seen some poor sap in tears when she believed she was more deserving of the award.

Comment

In my last permie role (many moons ago) we all got a PS3 for delivering a project in on time, still have it today,am not one for gaming but it makes for a nice media centre/blueray player.

Comment

It's a good thing. Probably more for younger folk.

Comment

Guess most of the clientcos do it.

As long as they don't award summat to a contractor ... !

Comment

A box of chocs and some patronisng words are cheaper than paying enough to be confident that valuable employees won't move on.

When i see people happily accepting these I think "you mug".

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              A box of chocs and some patronisng words are cheaper than paying enough to be confident that valuable employees won't move on.
              This nails it. It keeps people happy and is cheaper than paying them more.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post

When i see people happily accepting these I think "you mug".
                WHS. A colleague once got a long service award - £500 in vouchers for 20 years.

Didn't have the heart to point out that was £2.08 / month.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Anything other than give them a pay rise....

oops said already..
                  Last edited by flamel; 9 April 2015, 14:36. Reason: already said
                  Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                  http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

I quite like that if I choke enough German pole I get a pat on the head.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X