• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

security clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security clearance

Hi

I have been offered a job which requires SC security clearance,

I got a community order 10 years ago for what could be seen as a serious offence,

there were strong mitigating circumstances, hence I did not get custodial sentence

before I accept offer I was going to use the acro police service to see what is on my record 10 years down the line,

has anyone used this service, how long does it take to get results ?

https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

Originally posted by Janus31 View Post
    Hi

I have been offered a job which requires SC security clearance,

I got a community order 10 years ago for what could be seen as a serious offence,

there were strong mitigating circumstances, hence I did not get custodial sentence

before I accept offer I was going to use the acro police service to see what is on my record 10 years down the line,

has anyone used this service, how long does it take to get results ?

https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx
    Don't piss about with that, just tell them everything on the application. If you leave stuff out they will take that as a sign of dishonesty and you won't get cleared. Just because something is not on the PNC does not mean it isn't on record somewhere else and the PNC is not the only source that is checked.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Depending who your SC is for and your actual crime you could be cleared. However if you hide stuff, they will find out and you will never be cleared for any role.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Have a read if the Security Clearance sticking in the business section. Many question on a similar issue in there with plenty it responses to digest.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Be honest in your application. Checking your own records shall achieve nothing.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

SC is actually much more forgiving about past offences than DBS checks (which are used to work in health/education) - even what may constitute serious offences. Most physical based offences, such as assault, even serious assaults - they often don't care about - as long as they were in the past.

Fraud based offences - they very much care about - because it shows you were deceitful.

However, SC has zero tolerance for even the slightest hint that you are trying to hide anything - even if what you are trying to hide is trivial. If there's one thing that will get you permanently barred for any SC jobs - that's it.

Doesn't matter how long it has been, or how minor. For SC and enhanced DBS checks, everything is visible - even arrests which never led to anything - and there is no time limit.

Rehabilitation of offenders act allows cautions/convictions to be spent, so you don't have to declare it, but that doesn't apply to SC/DBS
            Last edited by centurian; 11 April 2015, 08:59.

Comment

thanks for all replies

I have checked the other threads, some good information

after deep thought over this, I think I will not go for this offer in the end,

gut feel is that I will not get the clearance,

go after jobs that do not require SC clearance, as they say, is a no brainer

Comment

Why not apply? The worst that can happen is that you get turned down, isn't it?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  unless I have got the timing of things wrong :

resign from current job, accept new offer, then if I don't get clearance, I am suddenly jobless,

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Guessing there is a notice period involved which could be unacceptable to the client including the risk of SC. Not the best situation for a new gig.
                    IMO if you are serious about going contracting you hand notice in and then start looking. Its pretty rare you will find a client willing to wait.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X