• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway car choice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway car choice

I am not sure if this is even the correct forum but here goes.
    • New contract of a year +
    • 80 mile motorway round trip a day
    • Public transport not an option
    • New car needed.
    • Technically I guess budget is 10k but could be more or less, I am more interested in value

So I understand that new cars are poor value as is leasing, so I am looking at buying a 3-5 year old car.

But I am totally totally stuck. I know bugger all about cars. We have a family mobile which Mrs Tasslehoff needs for the school run and I used to run a 07 Vectra 1.9 TD as a company car in my permie days. Bar that I have no other car experince.

First I started looking at Corsas and Toyota Auris but I have to be honest.. this contract (well for me) an amazing jump in rate and I have a decent war-chest so I am sorely tempted to get something more "fun".

So then I have been looking at VW Golf Blue motions purely for their MPG. I also was tempted by the BMW 350 as its MPG is decent they look amazing.

But I am honestly no idea what to do at this point. Contract starts in 3 weeks so I need something before then.

Any advice /experiences appreciated.

Ta
    Last edited by Tasslehoff; 11 April 2015, 17:55.

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
    I am not sure if this is even the correct forum but here goes.
    • New contract of a year +
    • 80 mile motorway round trip a day
    • Public transport not an option
    • New car needed.
    • Technically I guess budget is 10k but could be more or less, I am more interested in value

So I understand that new cars are poor value as is leasing, so I am looking at buying a 3-5 year old car.

But I am totally totally stuck. I know bugger all about cars. We have a family mobile which Mrs Tasslehoff needs for the school run and I used to run a 07 Vectra 1.9 TD as a company car in my permie days. Bar that I have no other car experince.

First I started looking at Corsas and Toyota Auris but I have to be honest.. this contract (well for me) an amazing jump in rate and I have a decent war-chest so I am sorely tempted to get something more "fun".

So then I have been looking at VW Golf Blue motions purely for their MPG. I also was tempted by the BMW 350 as its MPG is decent they look amazing.

But I am honestly no idea what to do at this point. Contract starts in 3 weeks so I need something before then.

Any advice /experiences appreciated.

Ta
    VW Passat Blue Motion. Roomy, comfortable, quick enough for the motorway and superb MPG. I use one regularly for a weekend commute 200 miles each way. Excellent car.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

General? Right forum? How long have you been here?

What do you want to drive? You are going to spend a lot if time in it over the next year so get something you are happy with.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Toyota Avensis, dull as dish water to drive but eats the miles (I do ~30k a year), rock solid reliability if serviced well
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Toyota Avensis, dull as dish water to drive but eats the miles (I do ~30k a year), rock solid reliability if serviced well
          Have to disagree on that one.

Got an Avensis this weekend as the hire company didn't have the usual Passat available. Nowhere near as comfortable. Arse cheek went numb after 2 hours and had to stop for stretch. Can normally do the trip in one go without a problem. MPG on the Avanesis isn't as good either. Was getting 57+ mpg from the Passat, struggling to get 50 in the Avensis.

Although it's still a damn sight better than a Vauxhall Insignia, I've told the hire guys never to give me one again!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            General? Right forum? How long have you been here?

What do you want to drive? You are going to spend a lot if time in it over the next year so get something you are happy with.
            This time of night on a Saturday the only people here are us saddo's who have nothing better to do than talk about cars so he should get away with it.

Comment

Why spend decent money on something that will suck up the miles? I'm doing 140 miles a day, bought a 56 plate Mondeo mk3 at 100,000 for 2.5k. It will probably be nearly dead by the end of this contract but is roomy, comfy, diesel, high mpg and pretty nippy. Does the job.

Comment

Boring cars at that

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'm in a cruise ship waiting to leave Fort Lauderdale. Mid afternoon here... Thinking about it that makes me more of a saddo doesn't it. Doh...
                  It does if you are all inclusive. I'd be pissed as a fart by now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
                    Why spend decent money on something that will suck up the miles? I'm doing 140 miles a day, bought a 56 plate Mondeo mk3 at 100,000 for 2.5k. It will probably be nearly dead by the end of this contract but is roomy, comfy, diesel, high mpg and pretty nippy. Does the job.
                    I did exactly same except I got as diesel civic and it's still going strong so won't be getting rid anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X