• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Move to Cornwall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to Cornwall?

Anyone here living in Cornwall and successfully contracting? My line of work (Architecture) I do need to be onsite quite a bit and so if I did move down there I would expect to be working 'upcountry' for most of the week. House prices don't look to bad either.

I notice the sleeper from Penzance to London is a regular service, and so that seems like a reasonable option.

We are toying with the idea of moving, and Cornwall is a possible destination.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Train takes 7 hours!

You might as well relocate to Spain, a massive villa for £300K and a quicker, cheaper commute to london.

Comment

Owlhoot has moved to Devon and seems to be enjoying the life .

I'm sure he'll let you know how it's going.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

...once the pigeon post is up and running again.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Yup, I looked at several houses last year, including a couple near Tavistock and the Cornish border. But in the end I went for a large (6000 sq feet plus) turnip with outbuildings and a separate cottage about 10 miles from Tiverton, which I was lucky to get for the price I paid as there is nothing in Devon anywhere near the same size on Zoopla now for much less than double the price!

My weekly commute to Cambridge takes under four hours on a good day (sunday night) and rarely much more on friday evening, surprisingly (via A1, M25, M4, M5). Given that I have a long commute, I'm also pleased with the location near the M5 (J27), because if you think about it driving to, say, Tavistock or Cornwall would take at least another hour and a half each way. It's like commuting from London to Pembroke - Even when you reach Cardiff, you still have an immense distance to go!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            because if you think about it driving to, say, Tavistock or Cornwall would take at least another hour and a half each way. It's like commuting from London to Pembroke - Even when you reach Cardiff, you still have an immense distance to go!
            It would be more like 2 and a half to 3 hours on top to Penzance not 1 and a half . That's from experience as we regularly visit the Lizard (and have friends that do the reverse leg).

I don't think I've ever got to the far side of Exeter in less than 2 and a bit hours and I've never done it in the 2 hours Google claims is possible.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
              Anyone here living in Cornwall and successfully contracting? My line of work (Architecture) I do need to be onsite quite a bit and so if I did move down there I would expect to be working 'upcountry' for most of the week. House prices don't look to bad either.

I notice the sleeper from Penzance to London is a regular service, and so that seems like a reasonable option.

We are toying with the idea of moving, and Cornwall is a possible destination.
              My folks live near Falmouth. Mylor Bridge. Lovely place, nice locals & great sense of community etc.

A nice place to retire, in other words.

Complete nightmare in the summer. Some places get completely gridlocked & you can't even get close. Taking them out to a pub for a meal is a also an ordeal as everywhere gets so rammed.

That said, it's only for a couple of months of the year. A30 has been vastly imporved and there's only the one bottleneck where it narrows to one lane over Bodmin Moor.

Anyhow, Frome seems to be where the in crowd are moving these days

Comment

For me at least the quality of life gained by living somewhere remote (lakes in my case) would be more than offset by that lost in the travelling for endless hours. Unless I could work remotely the majority of the time of course.

I'd end up only going home every other weekend like when I worked in Gosport and had a 560 mile round trip so pre retirement it's pointless.

Comment

Don't know how well Newquay Airport is served these days, ISTR they scaled back the Gatwick service.

I think you can still fly into Plymouth on whatever Brymon has now become..

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                    I think you can still fly into Plymouth on whatever Brymon has now become..
                    No you can't. Plymouth Airport is now shut.

HTH
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X