• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WARNING: Don't make mistakes on insurance policy quotes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING: Don't make mistakes on insurance policy quotes

Cautionary tale for some. Be very careful when you accept a quote.

Sorted out some house insurance for April 1st. Got a few quotes, go compare, quidco, etc. ensuring I added in my one claim from a year or so ago. Job done.
    Week off last week on holidays.

Got back yesterday to find on the mat:-
    1) Policy documents (as expected) but with the claim missing.
    2) A recorded delivery letter from last Wednesday telling me that I'd failed to disclose a claim and that my insurance was being cancelled as of monday!

Not cool. Tried all day today to get through to the sort this out to no avail (apparently they're moving offices this weekend - greeeaaattt!).
    Try googling cancelled insurance. Its one of the questions they always ask (i.e. have you EVER had insurance cancelled). Lets just say it adds a few £.

They obviously check against an insurance claims DB of sorts which is fair enough. I don't understand how my claim didn't end up on the quote but you'd have thought they'd have given me more than 2 days to phone them to put them right and sort it out. Apparently not. Not cool. And of course I've got bugger all way of proving it was there when I clicked ok.

BTW. I did wonder how a recorded letter was on my mat when the whole family was in spain with me. Postie has got a habit of signing for them to be helpful - in this case all hes done is given them 'evidence' that I recieved their letter middle of last week and didnt do anything about it. Cheers postie.

Not one for getting others into trouble but the stupid git even put my name on the signature. Surely thats just not clever.

Either way looks like lots of hassle for me next week.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Had something similar when I bought my house.

Insured the thing, then got a shirty letter asking why I hadn't declared the claim for £5730.

Turned out that the previous owner had lost her keys & had the locks changed.

This cost £57-30.

Incompetence rules ko.
    Why'd it matter what the previous owner did?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Had something similar when I bought my house.

Insured the thing, then got a shirty letter asking why I hadn't declared the claim for £5730.

Turned out that the previous owner had lost her keys & had the locks changed.

This cost £57-30.

Incompetence rules ko.
      After doing some research it seems insurance companies are a law to them themselves. They can do what they want, make mistakes, cant be bothered etc and cause customers loads of hassle.

This cancelled insurance thing. Getting this on record means higher premiums forever! Its one of the questions they ask - have you EVER. You can get done for drink driving and that will eventually go off your record but if an inusrance company decides to cancel your insurance it'll cost you forever.

Seems to be rife. Cancellations for no reason/stupid reasons. In my case I've yet to determine what went wrong but they made no effort to sort it out just cancelled.

Comment

ombudsman?

They have cancelled & refuse to deal with it from the sounds of it.

Ask them for a copy of the signature, enclose a copy of your tickets.

Ask them for a copy of the quote from their servers, should have emailed you copy?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          ombudsman?

They have cancelled & refuse to deal with it from the sounds of it.

Ask them for a copy of the signature, enclose a copy of your tickets.

Ask them for a copy of the quote from their servers, should have emailed you copy?
          Aye. I will be.

Even if I have made a mistake (dont think so) surely they must give me a chance to sort it out and pay the extra premium. I was a case of policy arrived one day, next day arrived cancellation. And I saw neither because I was on holidays.

Comment

Postie used to sign for parcels and recorded with us as well. A quick (and firm) phone to the sorting office sorted that out double-quick!

In this case all they really need is proof of posting. If you refuse to sign for it, that's your problem.

Must sympathise, I think the only way to reduce your insurance now is to drive a banger.
            Last edited by lilelvis2000; 14 April 2015, 09:34.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

This postie signing for thing - I used to think cheers postie saves me trekking down to the depot to pick it up now. But now I'm not sure its a clever thing for them to be doing.

I've got a family member whos a postie and this sort of thing is very common. Its not so much postie is trying to be helpful, its that they cant be arsed to carry your letter/parcel back to the depot with them so they'll do what they can to get rid of it.

Still think its a dodgy thing to do mind. If someone kicks off about this then surely its posties job no questions asked forging signatures etc.

Comment

Working...
              X