• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you pay to upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you pay to upgrade?

ClientCo pays economy fares only, so for my upcoming trip to the US I was offered an upgrade to Premium Economy (one way) for $288 which I accepted.

But for the return leg, the upgrade will be $1200

Would you pay? It's a lot of money and I'm thinking about what I could do with £800 (quite a lot) but after CT is deducted it's a mere £650, or £65 per hour.

I'm conflicted

Quite simply I wouldn't go unless the client co is paying for the upgrade.

Send Bob in the hold luggage it's cheaper.

Comment

Depends on the Airline
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        ^This

One of my ex-ClientCo's manager tried this with me on a long haul flight to Singapore. I pointed him to his arse and elbow. He immediately upgraded my ticket to Business class.

How desperate are you for this contract though? Is it worth telling them that you will not fly for the sake of an upgrade thereby denting the relationship? All that ......

Comment

This.

If it's a short flight, then I wouldn't bother, but for anything over a few hours then they should stump up the cash.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I wouldn't pay for upgrades, simply as they're so expensive. I will use my points for upgrades sometimes, depending on where I'm flying and who with.
            Then again, depending on where I'm going I have minimum standards that clients must pay for.

To the US East Coast the minimum I would accept from a client is Premium Economy, which is fine and perfectly liveable with BA.
            I've had a client fly me Premium Economy to Australia and it can be OK - depending on airline and plane type - Qantas A380 Premium Economy is pretty damn good, BA 747 is OK, but not ideal. Air China you want Business Class minimum for long haul.

My basic rules now are - domestic, Economy is fine. Up to about 4 hours Prem. Econ. Over 4 hours Business Class.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              ClientCo pays economy fares only, so for my upcoming trip to the US I was offered an upgrade to Premium Economy (one way) for $288 which I accepted.

But for the return leg, the upgrade will be $1200

Would you pay? It's a lot of money and I'm thinking about what I could do with £800 (quite a lot) but after CT is deducted it's a mere £650, or £65 per hour.

I'm conflicted
              If you want cheap Premium Economy, try United (it's not as good as the BA equivalent though). For $1200, you're approaching business class on United or similar for a one-way to the East Coast, and sometimes less if you wait until the airport, but obviously not at the busiest times.

Comment

Send Bob in the hold luggage it's cheaper.
                It depends. I've had clients in the US that were easy to negotiate with on rates, but they wouldn't budge at all on upgrading flights. I have no idea why that might be the case, but it does happen. Generally, I'll take what I can get and pay anything else - it's just a cost of doing business overseas.

Comment

Airline is BA. On this particular route, economy has a reputation for being cramped.

There's no chance that client will pay. None whatsoever. Travel policies etc etc. The question is more like, would I jeopardise what's been a long and fruitful relationship with ClientCo for the sake of $1200, rather than would they jeopardise their relationship with me. So I won't even ask them.

10 hours in cramped economy is far far less than ideal, but neither is spending £800 for a flight throughout which I will (hopefully) be mostly asleep.

I'm pondering waiting to see if the price gets cheaper as the date approaches.

Worst case, 10 hours will be tulip but it's only 10 hours of my life and worse things happen at sea.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    It depends. I've had clients in the US that were easy to negotiate with on rates, but they wouldn't budge at all on upgrading flights. I have no idea why that might be the case, but it does happen. Generally, I'll take what I can get and pay anything else - it's just a cost of doing business overseas.
                    Yeah, this is my thinking. If it was just a bit cheaper ....

Comment

Working...
                    X