• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The worms ate into his brain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worms ate into his brain

Well they didn't really.

It was maggots.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/man-with-m...6.html#IT3WdgN

Lovely.

A Vietnamese man who complained of headaches found he had more than a dozen maggots inside his skull - which saved him from a fatal infection.

Labourer Pham Quang Lanh was originally injured when an iron bar fell from a building site and hit him in the head in Malaysia.

Doctors repaired the injury by inserting a titanium plate over his skull, but Mr Lanh, 28, noticed his head became increasingly swollen and sore to touch.

When he asked his family to look at the wound, they noticed maggots under his skin and instantly took him to hospital.

Medics said the scar from the plate insertion had become infection, but as he hadn't had the scar checked out it began to fester and attracted a fly which laid eggs on the scar.

Mr Lanh explained: 'It had healed up pretty well and although I had headaches occasionally, it was mostly okay a year ago when I noticed it was swollen and sore to touch.

'I didn't want to go to hospital again because I hoped it would heal on its own and even now three years later I'm still paying the bill back for the last operation. I just couldn't afford another medical bill.'

Dr Nguyen Duc Anh, of Hanoi’s Viet Duc Hospital's neurosurgery ward, said: 'When his scar swelled a year ago, he did not go to hospital because of financial reasons. In fact the reason that it was swollen was because it was infected, and eventually some tissue had died leaving him with the festering injury.

'When we took him into surgery we discovered several maggots which were removed. We then needed to carry out a full operation to remove the maggots that had managed to go deeper.'

But he said that the maggot infestation, which were sent away for tests and were probably from a fly leaving eggs there, had actually stopped the man from dying by eating the necrotic tissue.

He said: 'This sort of fly infestation is extremely rare especially in the skull, I found eight references to it in medical literature worldwide and in every case the other patient died. In this man's case however the maggots had not gone on to eat any of his brain because of the metal plate, and actually may have kept him alive by eating the dead tissue that might otherwise have made the infection spread more quickly and killed him.'

The use of maggots to cleanse wounds is well known in historical medical practices as they can remove necrotic tissue and also disinfect the wound.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 09:07.

I'm worried one day, my resident brain eating amoeba will starve.....

Naegleria fowleri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In humans, N. fowleri invades the central nervous system via the nose, specifically through the olfactory mucosa and cribriform plate of the nasal tissues. This usually occurs as the result of the introduction of water into the nasal cavity with water that has been contaminated with N. fowleri, during activities like swimming, bathing, or nasal irrigation.

The amoeba attaches itself to the olfactory nerve and migrates to the olfactory bulbs, where it feeds on the nerve tissue resulting in significant necrosis and hemorrhaging. From there, it migrates further along nerve fibres and enters the floor of the cranium via the cribriform plate and into the brain.

The organism then begins to consume cells of the brain, piecemeal, by means of an amoebostome, a unique actin-rich, sucking apparatus extended from its cell surface. It then becomes pathogenic, causing primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM or PAME). PAM is a disease affecting the central nervous system.PAM usually occurs in healthy children or young adults with no prior history of immune compromise who have recently been exposed to bodies of fresh wate
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 14 April 2015, 08:49.

Comment

explains where Sasguru has been.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I used to wonder what on earth could make people vote Labour or even more scarily, Green, now I know what has happened to these people's cognitive capacity....

Comment

Maggots were often used during the 2nd world war in South East Asia to keep rotting wounds clear

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Maggots were often used during the 2nd world war in South East Asia to keep rotting wounds clear
            So what? They were used before WWII, and after, in all parts of the world.

Maggots are still used nowadays to clean wounds, including in western hospitals.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I used to wonder what on earth could make people vote Labour or even more scarily, Green, now I know what has happened to these people's cognitive capacity....
              I think it depends which side of the brain they eat. If they damage the right side, you get loonie lefties. If they focus on the left side, the right side isn't balanced and you get UKIP supporters.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I think it depends which side of the brain they eat. If they damage the right side, you get loonie lefties. If they focus on the left side, the right side isn't balanced and you get UKIP supporters.
                and when they get both sides.....
                sorry, what time is the service on Sunday
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  and when they get both sides.....
                  sorry, what time is the service on Sunday
                  Yes the Labour voting types that believe in a super natural being written about in an old book some people wrote about 2000 years ago.

I don't think worms or ameobas can eat that sort of dense woolly substance.

Comment

Working...
                  X