• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Initial question about daily rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial question about daily rate

Hi there,

sorry if my question if well known, I'm quite new to contracting and not yet fully aware of negotiation. Recently an agent called me out of the blue to discuss my profile, during the conversation he asks me about the rate I'm looking for and I gave him a top-end bracket, let's say 550 to 600 per day. Then the guy sends me a job spec that says 650. What happens now? Should I still try for the top rate, or stick to what I believe I'm "worth" (very subjective I know). Is the agent going to "forget" what I said? Should I have tried to elude the question altogether, but I guess the agent still needs an idea of where you're at?

Thanks for the insight,
    Chris

Contrary to popular belief - not every agent is there to stiff you over the day rate, especially if they're on a fixed margin (I.e., they get an extra x percent of the rate in commission) where it's in their interest to get you more.

While its not always great, a lot will use your initial figure to gauge your skill and seniority level - he's not going to waste time on 650p/d job with a 150p/d contractor.

If the job says 650 then he's made the first move, really, and that's the rate you should be working towards.

FWIW, I always qualify my day rate by saying 'depending on the role and location'. It should go without saying, but it just makes it easier to say 'Sorry, I'm not doing this role at x rate'

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Contrary to popular belief - not every agent is there to stiff you over the day rate, especially if they're on a fixed margin (I.e., they get an extra x percent of the rate in commission) where it's in their interest to get you more.

While its not always great, a lot will use your initial figure to gauge your skill and seniority level - he's not going to waste time on 650p/d job with a 150p/d contractor.

If the job says 650 then he's made the first move, really, and that's the rate you should be working towards.

FWIW, I always qualify my day rate by saying 'depending on the role and location'. It should go without saying, but it just makes it easier to say 'Sorry, I'm not doing this role at x rate'
      I agree. My current rate is about a third more than what I would 'say', if pushed, would be my normal rate.

That's because the agency told me what the role was offering and said to me "Let's go for that". They did, I got it and that's what I'm being paid.

But as vwdan says, it depends on the role. If the shop next to my house offered me half my rate to pop in and sweep the floor twice a day, I'd snap his hand off and spend the rest of the day golfing. You get the idea.

Comment

The risk is always when the agent is on a fixed % and you go for the top rate, the end client might find someone suitable somewhere else for a much lower rate

Comment

Originally posted by chris6220 View Post
          Hi there,

sorry if my question if well known, I'm quite new to contracting and not yet fully aware of negotiation. Recently an agent called me out of the blue to discuss my profile, during the conversation he asks me about the rate I'm looking for and I gave him a top-end bracket, let's say 550 to 600 per day. Then the guy sends me a job spec that says 650. What happens now? Should I still try for the top rate, or stick to what I believe I'm "worth" (very subjective I know). Is the agent going to "forget" what I said? Should I have tried to elude the question altogether, but I guess the agent still needs an idea of where you're at?

Thanks for the insight,
          Chris
          Maybe I'm being a pedant, I don't think about the rate in terms of what I'm worth, but in terms of what the role is worth i.e. what is required. A 650/day role should be 650/day (give or take a bit) - now whether I'm capable of a 650/day role is a different question ;-)

Comment

Hi all,

thanks a lot for the insightful responses. In the meantime I guess I've got part of the answer I was after as the agent promptly resent me the job spec, having cleverly changed 650 to 550 in it :-/ So I guess this means he wouldn't mind pocketing the (sizable) difference :-)

Originally posted by gables View Post
            now whether I'm capable of a 650/day role is a different question ;-)
            That's a very good question indeed. To be honest that kind of roles make me a bit nervous, as in, will silly me be up to their expectations, or what kind of pressure will I be under with such a rate... On the other hands two different agencies did contact me for the role so I guess at least on paper I look like a good match. The only way to know for sure I guess is during a face-to-face interview.

Thanks,
            Chris

Comment

Don't focus on rate get the role the client will offer what they think you are worth the agent will pass most of that on. £50 a day for instance is £1k a month cheaper to the end client + agency commission. Just say rate is negotiable but as the agent put the rate on the jobspec he is probably on a % of it so the more he gets the more you get but your not the only person applying for the role & the client will usually be on the ball & are not going to offer the top rate to someone who is new to contracting do not be surprised if they only want to offer you lower rates until your an established contractor.

Even £450-500 a day is a lot of money you are unlikely to get £650 a day if your new to contracting unless you have niche tech skills & amazing interpersonal skills to go with it. A lot of the time the high rate is just an on paper amount to attract the maximum response yet another underhand tactic agents use all the time!

Comment

Yes definitely agree with that, I'm interested in getting a first contract and start working, to be honest with 500 a day I'd be plenty happy. Let's see if an interview materializes... Fingers crossed.

Chris

Comment

Stick with your rate.

This is not trade union Britain with a rate for the job. If you're not on 650 to begin with you're probably not worth 650, well not yet.

650 means perfect for the contract.

Often the top rate they advertise isn't on offer, not really, they just "say it" to get the CVs in.

You're worth 650 when there are three agencies chasing you and one of them says "what about 650" then ?"
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Definitely makes sense, thanks you.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X