• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Purchase Extensions 30 years old no paper work won't provide Indem Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Purchase Extensions 30 years old no paper work won't provide Indem Insurance

Trying to buy a new place getting to final hurdles now, one of them is the house had 2 extensions in late 60's-70's there is no paperwork, building regs, etc for them, one of the extensions would just come under current 'permitted dev', the other probably would need permission.

My solicitor has asked for 'Indemity Insurance' to cover the lack of paperwork for the extensions I thought this non an issue a couple of hundred quid for the seller however the sellers solicitor saying no they won't provide it as 'a waste of £ as the extensions been there that long the council cannot do anything'. I kind of see there point and I also see my solicitors point of view, these extensions I would be knocking down anyway in the future and one would come under permitted dev, in the same situation would you push for the insurance or ask you solicitor to proceeed (though my solicitor is being a bit of an ar*e about it though I hear from agents he is a bit of an arse ... looking out for me) ?
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

How interested are you? You may offer the seller(the tight a*se) the indemnity insurance fees, to clear this hurdle, if it is just a matter of few hundred quids.

HTH.
    Dave

Comment

Who is the solicitor working for? Is the insurance to cover his are or yours? If yours just say you will sign a wavier saying its not needed
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Just been in the same position. We ended up paying £200 for an indemnity policy when the sellors wouldn't cough up. If you want the property it's the easiest way to progress. We had negotiated a good purchase price so I was happy to keep things moving forward.

Comment

Thanks for replies, I didnt know I could buy the insurance myself or offer the vendor the £ for it, tbh I'm that far into now to care so will pay it.

Only thing I can't get over is how much coms I will be paying the agent, even at 1% it makes me sick how much they will get for doing so little.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
            Trying to buy a new place getting to final hurdles now, one of them is the house had 2 extensions in late 60's-70's there is no paperwork, building regs, etc for them, one of the extensions would just come under current 'permitted dev', the other probably would need permission.

My solicitor has asked for 'Indemity Insurance' to cover the lack of paperwork for the extensions I thought this non an issue a couple of hundred quid for the seller however the sellers solicitor saying no they won't provide it as 'a waste of £ as the extensions been there that long the council cannot do anything'. I kind of see there point and I also see my solicitors point of view, these extensions I would be knocking down anyway in the future and one would come under permitted dev, in the same situation would you push for the insurance or ask you solicitor to proceeed (though my solicitor is being a bit of an ar*e about it though I hear from agents he is a bit of an arse ... looking out for me) ?
            It depends on whether or not you require a mortgage.

If so then your solicitor, or the mortgagee's if different, has a duty of care to them.

Otherwise you can just instruct your solicitor to take a view, in other words disregard this precaution and press on.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Last year, I pulled out for a similar reason - they simply wouldn't budge. Actually I had gone off the property anyway, but this was the excuse I gave, which they neatly offered on a plate, giftwrapped with a bow and cherry on top

They had to re-advertise - they eventually sold for £2,500 less - all for quibbling £100.

I think at the time they thought the market was still booming, so would get swamped with offers - whereas it was just as the market hit the peak.

Comment

If the vendor will not pay I would walk. It's their duty to provide the paperwork or insurance. If they are that tight you are likely to have more issues

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                  Thanks for replies, I didnt know I could buy the insurance myself or offer the vendor the £ for it, tbh I'm that far into now to care so will pay it.

Only thing I can't get over is how much coms I will be paying the agent, even at 1% it makes me sick how much they will get for doing so little.
                  I sold mine via an online agent £800 ish all in, saved 5k plus vat

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeSquash View Post
                    Just been in the same position. We ended up paying £200 for an indemnity policy when the sellors wouldn't cough up. If you want the property it's the easiest way to progress. We had negotiated a good purchase price so I was happy to keep things moving forward.
                    Did you ever see the policy paperwork out of interest ? I paid for mine but looking at the bill I was charged £450 for the policy, I've asked anumber of times my solicitor to see the policy doc but they are not responding now feckers

Comment

Working...
                    X