• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That was close for you guys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was close for you guys

I nearly created a new thread about my current project woes. Then hit the back button.

You're welcome.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Thank you Suity.

Now go take a dump and stick some bog on the toilet walls

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I nearly created a new thread about my current project woes. Then hit the back button.

You're welcome.
      Save it for your autobiography (no doubt coming soon, £24.99 at all good bookstores)

Comment

You're welcome.
        You couldn't find the front door?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You had been arrested for data misuse and have been put in a cell with bubba?

Comment

You're welcome.
            Am I the only one who feels cheated now?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Come on Suity - we need some entertainment - its bad enough having to wait until next monday for the next episode of GoT.

Comment

You're welcome.
                Don't tell me, they asked you to "park your arse" and you accidentally parked your elbow?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Come on Suity - we need some entertainment - its bad enough having to wait until next monday for the next episode of GoT.
                  OK this is on you.

So my project is going to hell in a handcart basically.

First problem is that I am the only dev, and as such all my tasks are linear and on the critical path. Extra resource really won't help in the short to medium term as it would slow me down having to bring the new poor sod up to speed and then deal with his questions as we proceed.

I have tried to explain this until I nearly went postal this morning. Falling on deaf ears. I've tried basic language like "Every time you interrupt me, the project moves a bit to the right" and "When my headphones are in, if it can wait until later, let it wait until later".

It doesn't also help that this data scrubbing work wasn't quoted for. This is an added pressure to get it done sharpish.

One thing I have been adamant about from the start is that I am only scrubbing data that is part of the migration and dropping the rest. Now ClientCo have discovered "other stuff" that needs to be migrated. Fair enough, file a change request with the consultancy, stop hassling me

On the other hand if I need to ask questions of the client I make a list, and when the list is say 10 things long I call a quick coffee time meeting. This morning I actually called a proper proper meeting as the list of questions was quite large. Chap at clientco just glazed after question 2 and said to just mail him the list and he would go through it in his own time as his desk. Fairy nuff.

Then every 5 minutes a tap on the shoulder, stop ipod, remove earbuds, put on brave smile "Yes Herr Soandso, how can I help". "Ach ja, I have a qvestion about qvestion nummer 3".

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Every weekly report I send to the consultancy lists distractions and interruptions as a major project risk, but do they fecking listen?

Worse still my contract is up in 2 weeks and the work already stretches past it by some chalk. They keep saying they're going to renew, but always mañana mañana.

Phone is ringing about other gigs, and I'm now allowing my CV to go forward for stuff, after all I'm sick and tired of reminding the consultancy about the project, about my contract, about the interruptions, about pretty much everything.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

OK this is on you.

So my project is going to hell in a handcart basically.

Phone is ringing about other gigs, and I'm now allowing my CV to go forward for stuff, after all I'm sick and tired of reminding the consultancy about the project, about my contract, about the interruptions, about pretty much everything.
                    Don't walk at the end of this contract, run, and fast. Seriously life's too short for this sh!t, if you were a permie you would suck it up but a contractor? Just don't renew. I had the same thing, 4 month contract, hated every minute of it, but I never bail mid contract. Finished contract, extension offered and politely turned down (what I actually wanted to say was 'you can shove it up your ar$e' )

Comment

Working...
                    X