• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I put my masters degree in Music on my CV?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I put my masters degree in Music on my CV?

..does anyone have irrelevant high level qualifications on their contractor CV!?

Originally posted by wackadu
    ..does anyone have irrelevant high level qualifications on their contractor CV!?

No, because you're not advertising yourself, you are advertising your company. Does your company have a music masters?

I do put a little blurb on there that says "Cowboy Bob obtained a masters degree in computer science blah blah blah" but do not highlight the qualifications of the directors in they way that I would on a traditional CV.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I've got my Astronomy 'O' lvel on my CV....you never know...
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        No, because you're not advertising yourself, you are advertising your company. Does your company have a music masters?

I do put a little blurb on there that says "Cowboy Bob obtained a masters degree in computer science blah blah blah" but do not highlight the qualifications of the directors in they way that I would on a traditional CV.
        Surely you ARE advertising yourself - the client doesn't care whether you work through a LTD/Umbrella/whatever, it's you as an individual they're interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by toast
          Surely you ARE advertising yourself - the client doesn't care whether you work through a LTD/Umbrella/whatever, it's you as an individual they're interested in.
          I hope not, as then my substitution clause is worthless... Seriously, every client I've had (bar the first one when I first started out and was naïve) has understood very clearly that they are employing my company and not me personally. This is important as otherwise if you get an IR35 investigation and they contact the client - you know the rest...

Comment

hmm, I'm not convinced that reflects the real world. Not that I'm using an IR35 argument either way but toast is right, it is you they want and it is you they interview. I suspect that no-one on this board presents the history of their company as part of their interview do they?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

It may be the company, but it's a personal service company and it's reasonable for the client to want to know the qualifications of the person that'll be providing the services. Most doctor's surgeries have several people that see patients, so effectively you're dealing with a "company", but you still want to know that the individual person you see is qualified as a doctor.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                It may be the company, but it's a personal service company and it's reasonable for the client to want to know the qualifications of the person that'll be providing the services. Most doctor's surgeries have several people that see patients, so effectively you're dealing with a "company", but you still want to know that the individual person you see is qualified as a doctor.
                I agree completely. It's just that I emphasise the company over the individual. The qualifications are there in the "CV", they're just presented differently than you would see on an employee CV.

Comment

When I was contracting I used to put:

Private Pilot's Licence (PPL/A) Multi IFR UK

purely for conversational reasons. 9 times out of 10 they asked about it as it was unusual and you have to very much talk about it enthusiastically as a hobby, rather than say something crass like "well, I'm loaded so I can afford to do this rich man's sport unlike you pitiful wage slaves that can just about to buy a trabant or fiat 127 and get a hard on".

Now I simply fly my clients to France for a jolly in a Seneca III just to "grease the wheels of business".
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I hope not, as then my substitution clause is worthless... Seriously, every client I've had (bar the first one when I first started out and was naïve) has understood very clearly that they are employing my company and not me personally. This is important as otherwise if you get an IR35 investigation and they contact the client - you know the rest...
                    I always thought the substitution clause was basically an IR35 dodging gimmick - and that is most definitely not how I have experienced job interviews etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X