• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultants vs contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consultants vs contractors

Is there a difference?

I'm excluding (permie) professional service staff from my definition.

I'm a consultant, I'm also a contractor.

But not all contractors are consultants... They are executing low level tasks (that permies don't want) ,rather than providing advice to the client.

Originally posted by BlindCobblersThumb View Post
    Is there a difference?
    £1000 a day.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      £1000 a day.
      consultants don@t pi** off in a sulk or leave contracts early for a better offer elsewhere
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Contractors don't lie for financial advantage and don't string people along for no reason
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Penis size + £1000 a day

Comment

Originally posted by BlindCobblersThumb View Post
            Is there a difference?

I'm excluding (permie) professional service staff from my definition.

I'm a consultant, I'm also a contractor.

But not all contractors are consultants... They are executing low level tasks (that permies don't want) ,rather than providing advice to the client.

Consultants bring business skills and understanding in addition to technical expertise. Contractors bring a specific expertise.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Consultants spend their time on Powerpoint and in meetings.

Contractors spend their time doing productive things and getting things done.

Comment

A lot of contractors are ex-consultants (I was with Big 4 for many years for example), so the client gets a good service for far less money. Plus there's no partnership politics to deal with and the clients don't have to pay for partner visits etc etc.
                Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Contractors don't lie for financial advantage and don't string people along for no reason
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Consultants spend their time on Powerpoint and in meetings.

Contractors spend their time doing productive things like posting on CUK.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X